Author Topic: A House Through Time - Newcastle  (Read 16508 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A House Through Time - Newcastle
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
Good thoughts Igor - I understand and agree with what you are saying.

One particular example from the previous series which grated with me a bit, was the way he spoke about the man who ended up moving to America, and “abandoning” his family and he “promised to look after his family/step daughter/s.” Unless the presenter was privy to some information which he did not share in the programme, we don’t know what the man’s motives were, what sort of relationship he had with his step daughter/s, what they wanted, or what other events occurred in his or their life which led him to make the decisions he made.

I just felt that the presenter was a bit harsh in some of his comments.  ;)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Agree wholeheartedly with both your sets of comments!  He seems to impose his feelings about various situations as if they were fact  - For example we were told that there was no police force but in the next breath how harsh it was for the two boys to be up 'before the beak'.  How do we know that the boys were not part of some 'Fagin' like gang (as in Oliver Twist!) perhaps this type of larceny was rife in the area!  They may have been caught before and let off with a warning (btw -  the lad probs had a better life in Tasmania!)

I was also interested that he did not think that finding a 'mullatto' person would be usual.  Given Newcastle and its sea faring history I would have thought it a very cosmopolitan place, with lots of ethnicity's coming into contact via the seafarers coming and going from the port?

I also find it an odd way to research (starting with a field...moving to 2019)  I guess doing family history research my mind is programmed from starting from the here and now and working backward.   :-\

CD

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
I hope I didn't come across as being too critical of the presenter (I tried to hold back a bit  ;) ), but I'm glad I am not alone in my thoughts about some of the conclusions he jumps to.  :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
Due to my 'historical' interests... I enjoyed the programme.. but did find his statements regarding the Police and Mulatto  a little dumb..  as is said earlier... uhm... a big sea port??? 

But yes some interesting bits and pieces and a pleasant enough chap...

Need more family information.. I am sure more could be found about the umbrella boys.

And the Doctor that seemingly only took a half interest in his job at the Workhouse.

But the wonderful Slug man.. his life must have been full of anecdotes... loved his book ---

That is all my immediate memory remembers... so I will watch it again to take it all in... fully.

worth while.

I then turned over and watched a recording of  'Murder in my Family'  that too was interesting.

xin

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:42 BST (UK) »

But the wonderful Slug man.. his life must have been full of anecdotes... loved his book ---

The ‘Lit. and Phil.’ where you saw him looking at the book is the most wonderful place.
http://www.litandphil.org.uk/information/about-us/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
and so wants to investigate them further.  So, I guess interesting, but not I feel directly related to the history of the house.  ... with the Liverpool house ... he kept going 'off piste'.
To me it is the political, economic & social history which is the most interesting feature of the programmes; in a way the house and its residents are just hooks for hanging these on. By doing this the presenter can in fact deal with more than a middle layer of society.

I agree in being critical with some of his judgements using today's values - talking about the boys in the dock as being children - 14 yr olds were of working age at that time; and of making his musings about people's motives and emotions appear as fact. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:57 BST (UK) »

The ‘Lit. and Phil.’ where you saw him looking at the book is the most wonderful place.
http://www.litandphil.org.uk/information/about-us/

It looks amazing JenB.

I think I will have to stop reading this thread now - I haven't seen the new series yet and don't want to spoil any surprises.  :)

Josey, I think maybe he could be called "opinionated"?  ;) :)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
I watched this, as I watched the first series, hoping it would be good, it seemed such a good premise to build a programme or series around.
But I feel the same minor irritations with the presenter that others have mentioned ... and the jumping around .... and the tinkly music, with no real need or connection.... getting me just the same as the first time. I also was surprised the presenter was not as aware of the racial mix likely in a port area at that time. I also felt the "surgeon" came over as less than competent - wonder what his private practice was like?
I'm fascinated by the physical changes and structures of houses and the way they move up and down the social scale, and was really prepared to give this a go, but sadly  I can already feel my interest waning...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
oh yes

'Lit and Phil'  is that short for Literature and Philosphy ?  (tired head) 

xin