Author Topic: A House Through Time - Newcastle  (Read 16506 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A House Through Time - Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 March 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I see this has the same presenter as the first series. I hope he leaves his prejudices off screen this time.

I have never heard of this chap - it will be interesting to see how I "get along" with him. An unsuitable presenter can ruin a very good programme and force me to switch off which has happened in the past. I like the sound of this series so I hope he is not too off-putting.  :)

Yes It is worth giving it a go. I did stick with the previous series to the end despite the presenter because I wanted to see how it panned out.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 March 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
That area of N/C has some lovely houses but has a few problems now. It will be very interesting to watch.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 March 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Davidft, I have no idea what you are alluding to. I found the first series fascinating and thought the presenter was very good.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 March 19 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Davidft, I have no idea what you are alluding to. I found the first series fascinating and thought the presenter was very good.

William

That's Ok I was deliberately not specific so as to not sway people to my way of thinking.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 March 19 21:58 GMT (UK) »
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/house-time-newcastle-alder-ravensworth-15198097

Fabulous house. But what on earth have they built butt up against it?
How was that allowed? :'(

I’ve never heard of Joshua Alder, so look forward to learning about him, as well as his house.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 March 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I see this has the same presenter as the first series. I hope he leaves his prejudices off screen this time.

I have never heard of this chap - it will be interesting to see how I "get along" with him. An unsuitable presenter can ruin a very good programme and force me to switch off which has happened in the past. I like the sound of this series so I hope he is not too off-putting.  :)

Yes It is worth giving it a go. I did stick with the previous series to the end despite the presenter because I wanted to see how it panned out.

I binge watched the first series today.  :) quite enjoyable.

I couldn’t take my eye off the presenter’s crooked glasses though ..... :P :)

I was expecting a little more about the house (structure, builder, features and so on) as well as the inhabitants, though that is not a criticism of the series - I just did not know what to expect. ;)

I feel that he spent a little too long on some inhabitants but this was understandable as there would have been a lot more to be found about some than others.

I thought that he (or whoever wrote the script) jumped to a few many conclusions in some cases, and filled in a few too many gaps, with what may or may not have been true, based on the limited facts available. I found him a little opinionated aand judgemental.  :)

I looked up the sale prices and dates for the property and found it quite interesting
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/62-falkner-street/edge-hill/liverpool/l8-7qa/12213921

Overall ... interesting, and I think the new series will be worth a look too.  :)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 March 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
The presenter of this programme was on Radio4's 'Saturday Live' this morning. Broadcast date given as 8th April 9pm. BBC2 I think.

Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 March 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Just to say I too thought the presenter was good - no histrionics or 'dressing up' in period costume etc. He's a proper historian.  I am very much looking forward to the second series.

Melbell

Offline lutrinae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 March 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed it too. I wish they would also bring back The Secret History of Our Streets / My Family - such great programmes