Author Topic: Joseph Stewart - tracing origin  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Stewart - tracing origin
« on: Friday 22 March 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace Joseph Stewart - he married Anne Stringer (I requested some assistance with the Stringer line as well and got some much needed assistance).
I am now trying to find out where my line of Stewarts comes from.
I know that Joseph Stewart who married Anne Stringer (Liverpool 1820) and had 9 children in total, including my great-great grandfather, William Stringer Stewart. William Stringer Stewart spent many years in India and Sri Lanka and I am pretty clued up on the Stewarts from his generation forward.
For years now I was led to believe by my grandfather's notes that Joseph was descended of the Balquhidder Stewarts, but I discovered a couple of days ago that the only Joseph in that line died, unmarried in his twenties. So, back to the drawing board. I do know that Joseph Stewart was a mariner, and I have found one listed - attachment below. His birth date of 1795 seems to fit with the marriage date of 1820. It also says he was born in Lancashire, and the majority of records for his family seem to be based in Lancashire.
Is anyone able to assist me in tracing his parents/grandparents etc.?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Filling in the family tree gaps:
Paternal Grandfather - Stewart, John, Mann, Stringer
Paternal Grandmother - Shepperson, Chubb, Bate, John
Maternal Grandfather - Wynne

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Stewart - tracing origin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Joseph and Ann (and the 9 children) on the censuses? Assuming Joseph lived to at least 1841.  If so, where and when does he say he was born?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The Merchant Navy recors you have listed staes that Joseph was born 2 May 1795 in Liverpool. He first went to sea as an apprentice in 1810 and at some point spent 6 years in the Royal Navy. When not employed he resided in Liverpool. He was 5ft 53/4 ins tall, with a ruddy omplexion, grey hair and Dark brown eyes. What it doesn't give is the name of wife or next of kin.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
The Merchant Navy recors you have listed staes that Joseph was born 2 May 1795 in Liverpool. He first went to sea as an apprentice in 1810 and at some point spent 6 years in the Royal Navy. When not employed he resided in Liverpool. He was 5ft 53/4 ins tall, with a ruddy omplexion, grey hair and Dark brown eyes. What it doesn't give is the name of wife or next of kin.

Emeltom

Oh my word he was short - I'm 5' 6" :D :D
Typical - I can virtually find out what he had for breakfast, but not who his parents were ???

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Joseph and Ann (and the 9 children) on the censuses? Assuming Joseph lived to at least 1841.  If so, where and when does he say he was born?

Hi,
As per the other response, it would seem he was born on the 2nd of May 1795 in Liverpool...

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 April 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
That height wasn't unduly short for that time.
In 1841 census for Liverpool there's a Joseph Stewart , a mariner, but apparently born c 1800, with Ann, similar age, and presumably his wife, with children Mary 15, Joseph 10, Elizabeth 2, and Robert 1. They're in Cunliffe Street.
Is that any help at all?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 April 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like you have the right Census there ThrelfallYorky.

STEWART, ROBERT, Mothers mn    STRINGER*** 
GRO Reference: 1840  J Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 20  Page 329y

Unfortunately Joseph is not home in 1851;
Ann Stewart 46 Head, Mar, Shopkeeper, born Liverpool
Elizabeth Stewart 12
Robert Stewart 9
Bancroft Stewart 5
William Stinger 38 Visitor
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
that looks like the right census as all the children's baptisms up to the second Ann on lan-opc say they lived in Cunliffe Street

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 April 19 17:08 BST (UK) »
I'd also seen the Lancs OPC, and thought it possible. But the O.P. seems certain of the birthdate - could it be that there was a Joseph Stewart with that date, and, as often happened, he died young and a few years late there was a replacement born, and the two have been confused? I really couldn't find any stronger candidate than the one I did find.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)