Author Topic: Query Service Record :- London Regiment  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query Service Record :- London Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 March 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
See CaroleW’s first reply.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 March 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Are there any other details to what the sickness would have been

It isn't worth chasing 20328 Harry Fitch as he was a) born in 1864 and b) married to the lady I posted in my query to start with.

As Carole W has said, there is no medal record with the number 115689 and indeed no apparent record of service either and, what is more,  six digit numbers came in 1917 with the re-numbering of the Territorial Force and none started with the digit 1.  The coincidence of the number 115689 linked with the name Fitch leads me to believe that the number, which is a Silver War Badge number belonging to the 1864 born man and not a service number, has been incorrectly attributed to the 1874 man on the coincidence of name.

The important facts to establish are, first, as has been asked, is where does his number come from and second what searches gave you the lead to the two regiments, the fact that he was a Londoner should in no way be relied upon as a guide.

You may not be aware that, again as CaroleW has said, 60% of service records were lost in WW2 and in addition, if a man did not serve overseas, there is no medal record anyway.  Thus someone, and there are thousands of them, whose record is lost and who did not serve overseas, becomes essentially invisible.  Is there any family related evidence that he did serve - medals, letters, stories etc.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 March 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Reply 6 refers

MRI stands for Medal Roll Index
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)