Author Topic: Reverend James AITKEN 1804 – 1881  (Read 1731 times)

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend James AITKEN 1804 – 1881
« on: Saturday 23 March 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
James was the son of James Aiken & Martha Houston, they had 8 children born in Paisley, Inveresk, Glasgow and the last 3 in Kilmarnock, they moved there about 1808.

James junior was ordained at Kilmarnock High Church 3 August 1843 and was on the census there from 1841 until his death in 1881. He left a will in favour of his eldest brother William (1797 Paisley), however William died in 1878 and left his will in favour of James.

I have sufficient information on the Rev James and most of his siblings but nothing on William (of Hawthorn Bank, Kilmarnock, noted on Wills) or their father James born about 1775. Son Roberts’s baptism record in 1811 states he was the 7th child and his father James was a Wright.
Martha was born 1776 in Riccarton and I have her details.

Can anyone help with James senior or William, census records for the latter seem none existant?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: REVEREND JAMES AITKEN 1804 – 1881
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

When eldest brother William died in 1878, what did it say on his death reg? Was he married? Who reported his death. What was his occupation at the time of his death?

Anything further in his will that could identify his movements or provide additional names?

A description of Hawthornbank here from the 1850s https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-35/60 Mention also on the same page of the Manse and Rev James. I wonder why Hawthornbank does not show on the valuation rolls in those years.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 19 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Martha died in the Glasgow area in the 1830s didn't she? Did James also die there post 1841?

1841 census (sure you have this Colin but just for background here):

James Aitken 64 wright b. Scotland
Mirran Aitken 22
Robert Templeton 31
Margaret Templeton 31
Thomas Templeton 9
Agness Templeton 3
Marrion Templeton 3 Months

Address: One Taylor Court, Glasgow

Mirran/Marion and Margaret were daughters of James and Martha weren't they?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks so much for your response, regarding William I was trying to find other evidence, if I could, rather than obtain the death record, its very strange that there is no census 1841 - 1871?

The answer may be relating to Hawthorn Bank, this is mentioned in the wills of William & James, from your information it seems it was situated in London Road. James Hamilton was minister of Laigh Church and James Aitken High Church, however his abode on all census returns was Wellington St.
High Church, Kilmarnock - built 1731 on slightly higher ground, hence the name - not far from Wellington Street but more accurately on Back Street.

However before his death James Aitken had acquired a number of properties, one being in London Road, he left a provision in his will for his niece Helen Aiken (daughter of Hugh, the number two brother) to reside there, she only appears there in 1881.

I will reply to your second response separately but I just wonder if William moved elsewhere and only returned to Hawthorn Bank in his latter days after 1871?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Why didn't James jr change his will - did he not know that William had died?

You need the death record to help you find him in the censuses.

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:43 GMT (UK) »

Monica thanks again, your second post answers a lot of questions. I had not considered that James and Martha had moved from Ayrshire.

Margaret 1809, Robert 1811 (My wife’s direct line) & Marion 1815 were the three children born Kilmarnock. I have information on Marion & Robert but Margaret was the problem, I had two possible scenarios which both are clearly wrong.

I will progress this information, thank you once again.

Colin

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The will as such is an "Extract Registered Trust Deposition & Settlement" by Thomas Fulton, Minister, who prepared an Inventory of the Estate after the death of James.

Thomas Fulton & William Aitken were both named on the original will and the above document does note the fact the William had predeceased his brother. 

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 March 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Martha died in the Glasgow area in the 1830s didn't she? Did James also die there post 1841?

Just for info. Monica, great information which solves a lot of questions.
AITKEN   MARTHA   HOUSTON / JAMES AITKEN   60   06/10/1836   Glasgow

AITKEN   JAMES   -----   72      30/04/1848   Glasgow

Colin

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 March 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Well it seems like my wife is not the GGgrand niece of the Rev James Aitkin.

The death certs reveal the James & Williams mother was Helen Anderson, by coincidence two James and William born around the same time, One snag already emerges, James left provision for his niece Helen Aitken, as James & William were both single, it looks likely that it can only be their brother Alexander 1799 Barony, unless I can find another brother.

So its back to the drawing board to find the other two, William 1799 Paisley & James 1804, family in Kilmarnock by 1809.

AITKEN   JAMES   78   Death    1881   Kilmarnock (Ayr)
Single, Minister, High Church Kilmarnock, Wellington St. Unable to clearly read who was present but not a family member, looks like a member of the ministry?

AITKEN   WILLIAM   84   Death    1878   Kilmarnock (Ayr)
Single, Shroud Manufacturer, Hawthorn Bank, signed by his brother James, parent’s marriage below of both above.

AITKEN   JAMES   HELEN ANDERSON   05/06/1791   Barony

Colin