Author Topic: 65th regiment of foot Rutlandshire 1844-1851  (Read 425 times)

Offline Kiwi0808

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
65th regiment of foot Rutlandshire 1844-1851
« on: Saturday 23 March 19 21:34 GMT (UK) »
My brick wall is trying to find a birth place for John FINDLAY (Finlay) . Sourced from British Army worldwide Index 1851 that he served as a private no. 1368 in 1841 in Glasgow and Edinburgh and from Jan thru March 1851 in NZ. At "full age" He married Ann (Annam) Galager (born Waterford Ireland 1824) in Gillingham Kent 26 May 1844 (her father Timothei GALAGER also in same regiment in Chatham). Ann travelled I think with John & regiment to Sydney NSW Australia, their son John HENRY Finlay was born 1844/5  (birth Sourced from Henry's death cert in 1881 in Shardlow Derby Derbyshire UK). Then on to NZ to assist in Maori Wars. John Findlay died from consumption on 19 Nov 1851 in Auckland NZ. sadly his death printout has no family/birth info as it was reported by a soldier from 65th regiment  to authorities. States his age as either 24 or 29, handwriting hard to decifer).Ann was widowed with 4 boys, 6 yrs, 3 yrs, 2 yrs and 7 months. So I presume no pension records. Ann remarried in 1853 to James Chapman and had many more kids. Any suggestions where I might find his birth country in military records please ? Robin

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 65th regiment of foot Rutlandshire 1844-1851
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 19 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Was there no father's name for John on the 1844 Marriage record? You appear to be quoting a Church marriage (latin) - but there is a Civil Marriage also, Medway June Qtr 1844, Vol 5, Page 419.

PS: You've written 65th Regiment, above (a Yorkshire regiment) - I believe you mean the 58th, Rutlandshire, which is shown on his Army Index  listing.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 65th regiment of foot Rutlandshire 1844-1851
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 March 19 05:31 GMT (UK) »
The 58th Regiment was in Edinburgh Castle, Canongate, Edinburgh at the time of the 1841 Census. They moved on into England in November that year.

I was able to ascertain this by following the info in this research, by someone else who had ancestor in the 58th in NZ:
http://www.nzpictures.co.nz/BoulcottFarm-AllenWilliam1825.pdf

To see the Census, with a reliable transcription, go to FreeCen and search:
https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
John FINDLAY
Year of Birth 1826
Census Place: Canongate

It comes up as Folio: 18 Page: 1  - and you'll need to scroll and go 'Next; until you get to the section  marked  Page: 18/12    to see:
John FINDLAY, age 15, Soldier, b England

The age of course is rounded down per 1841 Census rules. He could be as old as 19.
The place of birth, England - I guess that narrows it down a bit :)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Kiwi0808

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 58th regiment of foot Rutlandshire 1844-1851
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 19 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes sorry my error typo. Johns father was John Findlay too and a gardener acc ording to the church record. Will check the other sources you recommend.  Thank you very much.