Author Topic: Where to share a photo of a school class with names?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where to share a photo of a school class with names?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 March 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Was "Reed" Priscilla's maiden or married name?

And have you managed to track the schools in which Priscilla taught?

It looks as though Exmoor and Taunton seem like possible birth registration districts 1940/1941, but the only Jason Burnett on Freebmd in 1935 - 1950 window was registered in Truro, though the family may well have moved out of Cornwall.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 March 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I too have found a few of the names in the Barnstaple/Exmoor area in around 1940. Assuming the names go along the back row L to R, then middle row etc, I suggest a date around 1948.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 March 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Had a bit of a look on Ancestry with the names JasonBurnett, Rosemary Aplin, Jacqueline Handford .
Seems to be pointing towards Devon/Cornwall with births 1940/41.
A primary school class photo might well have had children of a range of ages, though the ones in this photo look more or less the same age.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 March 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
As you might be seeking people who are now possibly elderly, local papers in the general area may be at least as good a bet as "Facebook"
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Huge discrepancy in male/female ratio - perhaps other boys did not want to appear in pic!!

You could find primary schools in the area & write/email to see if Priscilla taught there or if the recognise any names.

Could just depend on the local birth pattern that year.  There are only 4 girls in my younger daughter's class as there were more boys than girls born in the catchment area that year.  The year below the girls outnumber the boys.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 09:00 GMT (UK) »

So, I too followed similat route.     

1940 birth "Devon"     
1962 marriage same place as birth     
Various children born StAlbans, Dunstable, Loughborough
2018 living elsewhere in the country (Midlands) with the OH name on the marriage entry inc middle initial

Found a fone no too . . . . .
pm on way

Should anyone want to check my workings, pm me?Could be absolute rubbish.
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thinking that this photo might be one of the few taken of some of the children. Folk were not wealthy enough to have lots taken in those days. Often parents did not buy copies of school photos, even if they were on offer.
I'm sure that the people pictured and their descendents would be pleased to see the photo.
Maybe get it published locally in Devon first and take it from there?
I have only one school groupphoto from about 1959/60 and that is a photo copy from a friend who I stayed in touch with.
Similarly, I would love to see pics of my parents at school. ( Hade Edge and Nabb Holmfirth - 1930's)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I do think it is important to have an idea of the schools in which Priscilla taught, to narrow the field, but it might be worth making approaches to:

1. Devon Live radio.
2. Barnstaple News facebook page run by Devon Live radio.
3. North Devon Gazette newspaper.

fingers crossed......
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
... and please don't forget to let us all know how you get on with your quest!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)