Author Topic: 74th Regiment of Foot  (Read 539 times)

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
74th Regiment of Foot
« on: Sunday 24 March 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on where to find more information about the 74th Foot between 1828 and 1853, and in particular about my ggg grandfather Andrew Anderson. I have his service record - he first joined up in 1828 and re-enlisted in 1835. The attestation form in 1835 gives his age as 29 and place of birth as Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. It says he's married. He was discharged as unfit in 1853. He was promoted and demoted a number of times but on discharge, he was a Sergeant and had served 25 years, 3.5 in America and the rest at home.

I've found him in the 1851 census in Edinburgh (392 Castle Hill):
Andrew Anderson, 47, Sergt 74th Regiment, born Ayrshire, Kilmarnock; Hannah, wife, 45, born Ireland; Martha, dau, 15, born Lanarkshire, Glasgow; Isabella, dau, 7, born Overseas, British, Canada; William, son, 5, born England; Robert, son, 4, born Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen; Hannah, dau, 8m, born Midlothian, Edinburgh

In 1861, 395 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh:
Andrew Anderson, 55, Army Pensioner, born Ayrshire, Monkton; Hannah, wife, 45 (same as 10 years before!), born Ireland; Isabella, dau, 18, born Canada; William, son, 15, Flesher's Appr, born England; Robert, son, 13, Flesher's Appr, born Kirkudbightshire; Hannah, dau, 10, born Edinburgh; Jane, sister, 50, born Ayrshire

Andrew died in 1864. The death certificate says he was 58, a Railway Storekeeper, married to Hannah Wilson, parents Andrew Anderson Collier and Janet Elliot, both deceased, death reported by son William.

Was it usual for wives to go overseas with their army husband? Since Isabella was born in Canada around 1843/44, I guess that was when he did his 3.5 years overseas. Does anyone know where in Canada the 74th regiment were? And what might he have been doing during the years at home?

I've not found a marriage for him and Hannah or birth records for any of the kids. I also can't find a birth record for him with the parents named on his death certificate but familysearch has a birth of Andrew Anderson in Monkton, Ayrshire in 1803 with parents Alexander Anderson and Janet Elliot. Not sure if this is him and William made a mistake with the name of his grandfather.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 74th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Some  wives were allowed to accompany their husband overseas, six per every 100 men were permitted,  they were selected by ballot. It was a tough life, women and children living and sleeping alongside the men on board ship. The the restricted numbers didn't apply to officers wives, but very few chose to accompany them.

Many wives used to accompany the men as far as their port of departure, marching with their husbands. 

Addendum.

You can order Isabella’s birth from the GRO, the  reference
RG1 British Armed Forces Overseas Births and Baptisms
Isabelle Anderson, 1843, 74th Foot, Canada , Ile Aux Noix. Page 67, vol 1304, line 128.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 March 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Regimental deployments here: http://regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/074-1.htm

It shows that the regiment were in the following places matching the places of birth of the children:

Ireland 1830-34 (Possibly married wife in Ireland at this time)
West Indies 1834
Canada 1841 (Daughter Isabella born 1843/44 in Canada)
England 1845 (Son William born 1845/46 in England)
Scotland 1846?
South Africa 1851
Kaffir War 1851

More Info (Regimental records) here: https://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/74th-1.htm and here: https://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/74th-2.htm

Arrived in Ireland at the beginning of 1830 and remained there until 1834.
May 1841 from West Indies to Quebec, Canada.
Whilst in England the regiment appears to have been stationed at Canterbury in Kent.
Removed to Scotland in August/September 1846.

Hope this all helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
History can also be read on line:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.278801

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Gro Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)
Archive reference   REG1
Record set   British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms
First name(s)   Martha
Sex   Female
Last name   Anderson
Birth year   1836
Regiment   74th Foot
Type   Armed Forces
Country   Scotland
Place   Glasgow
Page   65
Archive   
General Register Office
Record's year range   1836
Volume   1304
Line number   95
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. It's been a busy week and I've only had a chance to look properly at the information and links today.

Where did you find the birth information for Martha and Isabella? I've just signed up to the GRO website (all my research has been in Scotland up to now) but it's only giving me the option to search for events in England and Wales. I can't find the overseas index.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
The GRO military births index is on findmypast.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk