Author Topic: Comparing Shared Matches at Ancestry  (Read 675 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Comparing Shared Matches at Ancestry
« on: Monday 25 March 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
When I have a list of shared matches, is there any way to view how much DNA the people on the list share to the original person I was looking at ?
For example, I have a match John, our shared match is Bob....but  can I tell how close John and Bob are related to each other ?
Any ideas?

Rebel

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing Shared Matches at Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you looked at the thrulines part of the DNA at all I found that helpful.
You also have the filter to get your common ancestors.
I’m sure you prob have checked these out but I thought I’d share this with you anyway as I’m just getting the hang of it myself.
Regards Sharon
Bigginton/Biggington  Woolwich/ Canterbury/Deptford/Lewisham
Buckley,Essex,Canning Town,Eastwood,Rochford,
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Howsego,Essex,Canning Town,Westham,
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
When I have a list of shared matches, is there any way to view how much DNA the people on the list share to the original person I was looking at ?
For example, I have a match John, our shared match is Bob....but  can I tell how close John and Bob are related to each other ?
Any ideas?

Rebel
Rebel we deal with this in my topic here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809485.0

Basically the answer is, because Ancestry does not have a chromosome browser as most of the other companies do, you cannot see how much your match matches the people in their shared match list to you. The amounts shown in centimorgan links on the shared matches are only how much they match you - they may match the match at the top at a much smaller or much larger centimorgan level.

You may also share no exact segments in common between the match and the shared matches i.e. you may match the top match on Chromosome 5 in one segment, and match the shared match on Chromosome 8 in two segments, and the match matches the shared match on Chromosome 3 at 4 segments. This 'coincidental' shared matching is much more likely to occur with smaller centimorgan matches i.e. below 30 cM, especially if large parts of your respective ancestries lived in similar areas (or religious communities).

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 19 11:27 GMT (UK) »
An obvious way at Ancestry is to ask your match, you may or may not get an answer, but worth trying. At other companies you can see for yourself, but it is hard work trying to persuade people to upload elsewhere, in my experience.

I have access to a few people's results, so I can cross reference like that as well. It is very interesting to see how much DNA is shared between me, my first cousin and others, sometimes the difference is very marked.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your input.
I had seen the post previously but it didn't seem to answer my question.

I thought that if the shared match between Other Person A and Other Person B was at a high level, they were probably close family, and I could save myself a bit of time and effort in not writing to each of them. It would also have given me a head start perhaps in working out the connection.
Thanks again
Rebel

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 19 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your input.
I had seen the post previously but it didn't seem to answer my question.

I thought that if the shared match between Other Person A and Other Person B was at a high level, they were probably close family, and I could save myself a bit of time and effort in not writing to each of them. It would also have given me a head start perhaps in working out the connection.
Thanks again
Rebel
I think this all comes into the confusion that I had, and I think many other people have, that the centimorgan level shown on shared matches is how much THREE people share. It isn't. The centimorgan level you are shown is only between you and that one person. The higher that centimorgan level is, yes, it means they are more closely related to YOU, but it doesn't give any indication at all how much that top match is related to them, or even if it is on the same segments.

Offline Sharon Romany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if this link will work but it was interesting to listen to and a few tips were got also.

https://www.rootstech.org/video/my-ancestors-are-in-my-dna
Bigginton/Biggington  Woolwich/ Canterbury/Deptford/Lewisham
Buckley,Essex,Canning Town,Eastwood,Rochford,
Lee,Essex,WestHam
Howsego,Essex,Canning Town,Westham,
Cooper,Essex,Dagenham
Freshney.
Litson