Author Topic: Robert Curwen ARIBA Architect  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Curwen ARIBA Architect
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether Robert Curwen had a connection with Canada, but his youngest son, Francis Gilbert Curwen b1886 was a sergeant in No 1COY 13 bn (Quebec Rgt) Canadian Infantry C.E.F.
He served with the Expeditionary Force in France and was killed in action there on the 27th April 1915,aged 29. He is buried at Tyne Tot cemetery in Belgium. His obituary reads, youngest son of Robert Curwen ARIBA of 14 Buxton Road, Cricklewood, London N by his wife Anne Constance of Pinner, Mdx.
Added:- Francis Gilbert Curwen is on the 1901 British census.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The RIBA have an archive section, may be worth contacting them.
https://www.architecture.com/about/riba-library-and-collections
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
Robert was married in 1876 and living in London where in 1877 his first child Robert Basil Curwen was born.
He seems to have maintained an office presence in Liverpool presumably to cover his work at the time on churches in North Wales , Conway and Colwyn Bay.

His Liverpool addresses were 34 South John St and possible 11 Bells Buildings.
Are there any on-line directories which would enable me to verify these?

I have an office address for him in London but not sure of the date. 103-4 Palace Chambers Westminster.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 May 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
I can confirm the Bell's Building address the addresses in Liverpool are one premises

Rhyl Advertiser 14 May 1881

TO BUILDERS. TENDERS are required for the ERECTING and completing of an INDEPENDENT CHAPEL and SCHOOLROOM, at Llanrwst. The plans, specifications, &c., may be inspected at and SCHOOLROOM, at Llanrwst. The plans, specifications, &c., may be inspected at the Office of Mr. R. DAVIES, Albion Hotel, Llanrwst, after Saturday, May 21st. Sealed Tenders must be sent to ROBERT CURWEN, ESQ., Architect, 11, Bell's Buildings, 34, South John Street, Liverpool, by the 8th of June, 1881. The Trustees do not bind themselves to accept the lowest or any tender.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 May 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that piece of info Mabel...another piece in the jigsaw!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 15:09 GMT (UK) »
As a side issue on this thread, Robert Curwen was well aquainted through his wife's family with the Revd William Morley Punshon a well known and respected Wesleyan Methodist Minister.
Curwen was the architect for the Punshon Memorial Church in Bournemouth, sadly destroyed by enemy bombs in WW2.
Punshon died in 1881 and is buried in West Norwood Cemetery London. His tomb (Listed Grade 2) is an arcaded chest tomb in stone and pink granite in High Victorian Gothic style. It was  carved by a J Rogerson of Liverpool but there is no indication either on the tomb or in the Listing record of the designer of the edifice.
My logic takes me on a journey thus:
1 Curwen was trained as an architect in Liverpool in a practice with heavy involvement in Wesleyan matters.
2 Curwen was involved in the design at least one if not more of Punshons chapel promotions
3 Curwen had family links with Punshon
4 Curwen's predominant architectural style was Gothic Revival (having trained for part of his time with Sir George Gilbert Scott)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry pushed the wrong key

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Try again
5  J Rogerson was a Liverpool sculptor.

Is my logic logical? but can anyone throw any further light on the designer for Punshon's tomb?

Your thioughts would be appreciated as usual.
Thanks

Offline Chris Pickford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 February 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, I can add one further Wesleyan Chapel designed by Curwen - Gospel Ash Wesleyan Chapel at Bobbington (Staffs), 1884. Very grateful for the excellent material in this chat though - told me all I needed to know about him