Author Topic: another weird discovery  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: another weird discovery
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
MALCOLM.....

I just realised - my Uncle was in the RAF in ADEN in 1956 ????

Derek Green??

I know because - when my mother decided to come back to UK from  Oz it was early 1956 June I think.. and she was allowed to visit MY UNCLE her brother for the day..

did you by any chance know him.. ?? he bless him suffers from the dreaded Alzheimers now.. such a shame..

xin

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 March 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
MALCOLM.....

I just realised - my Uncle was in the RAF in ADEN in 1956 ????

Derek Green??

I know because - when my mother decided to come back to UK from  Oz it was early 1956 June I think.. and she was allowed to visit MY UNCLE her brother for the day..

did you by any chance know him.. ?? he bless him suffers from the dreaded Alzheimers now.. such a shame..

xin

Afraid not.   I was in Aden - RAF Steamer Point, Hospital, Orderly Room from early March 1952 until around mid-March, 1954.     So I was in Aden on Coronation Day and it was one of the highest humidity days we ever had, so that night a few of us sat up on the hill overlooking Tawahi (Steamer Point) next to Little Ben, the clock tower.    Photos I took were looking down from there over all the celebrations going on below.    Some Bedui danced in circles firing rifles into the air.   The Queen didn't visit our Hospital until a month after I left and just before that they gave us new tables and chairs in our Billet - which had been built by the Turks centuries before.    I have many pictures and was just thinking that these could trigger some memories in your Uncle's mind.   Will PM you with my email address.   

We did stop in Aden in the Oronsay in March, 1956, but that would have been very likely before your Uncle arrived there.   I returned to England then Turkey in November 1956 in the Orcades, but the Suez War had just broken out and the Canal was closed, so we had to cross from Perth to Kaap Stad and then another port of call at Gran Canaria before docking at Tilbury.

Next time I set foot in Aden was in December 1965 when migrating in the Fair Sky to Melbourne.   We had to stay in the main Crescent of Tawahi for by then there was shooting everywhere - in the streets and so on.

There is a legend that if you climbed Sham Shan which I did, one would never go back to Aden - but I did, but only briefly for a few hours each time.

Try some phrases on your Uncle - could bring a smile -  'Kam Feloos',   'Anna Moskeen, shuft Saida', anna moskeen, mafeesh feloos'.  Or count - Wahad, Etneen, Talata, Araba, Hamsa, ..... and then there was the 'Klefty Wallah'!!

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 March 19 00:04 GMT (UK) »
 Just some more memories for your Uncle
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 March 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you :)

really good of you to try and help him...   He does have sudden spurts..

so sad

I was looking for a pic of him in Aden  It is probably on here somewhere having been restored.

Really interesting tale to tell :)

thank you

xin