Author Topic: Did William get a pension?  (Read 260 times)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Did William get a pension?
« on: Wednesday 27 March 19 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Does this indicate that he received a psnsion. No idea what the numbers mean. No indication he was wounded in WW1. He died in April 1920
"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did William get a pension?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
The entries record the Ministry of Pensions asking the record office for the man's Statement of Services (AFB200) and his Medical History (AFB 178).  Significantly the latter is for regular soldiers only and his R Irish Regt number (I am assuming this is the William Reid we have seen recently) suggest a pre WW1 enlistment.  Thus if he was a regular and had served out his time then he would have received a pension which his widow could later claim.
I can't recall whether we know enough about his record to say for definite that he was a regular.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Did William get a pension?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again it is the William we have discussed before. On his attestation he did say that he had been in the Royal Irish. But when is the question.

I contacted them and got this reply from the Royal Ulsterís ď

William served with the Royal Irish Regiment 7359, Royal Engineers 314668, Labour Corps 228251 and Royal Engineers 333607. As part of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force he landed at Gallipoli on the 18th September 1915 serving there until the 31st September 1916 so his 10 days Field Punishment would have been served at Gallipoli. ď
This confirms what we have discussed before.

Sooo through your observations he had previous service. Which may or may not turn up. He was certainly in the merchant service out of Wexford in the 1880ís so I suppose his army serve could be at least tied down to a period.
Thanks again for your help
The entries record the Ministry of Pensions asking the record office for the man's Statement of Services (AFB200) and his Medical History (AFB 178).  Significantly the latter is for regular soldiers only and his R Irish Regt number (I am assuming this is the William Reid we have seen recently) suggest a pre WW1 enlistment.  Thus if he was a regular and had served out his time then he would have received a pension which his widow could later claim.
I can't recall whether we know enough about his record to say for definite that he was a regular.

MaxD
"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"