Author Topic: Dwellings on Census  (Read 2303 times)

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dwellings on Census
« on: Wednesday 27 March 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
So, I'm here to ask for a spot of help. I've seen on some censuses linked to my family, they are living on Ash Hill Common, Wellow Wood and Spearywell (Spearywell I know for a fact is just a massive empty forest near me). Would it have 100% said if they were living in tents/wagons? I'm very, very confused.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Dwellings on Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
If you look at census entries pre 1911 the majority do not show exactly what type of accomodation the person is living in.  Some may show tent, caravan etc in the case of travellers but as far as I am aware there was no requirement to specify
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
If you look at census entries pre 1911 the majority do not show exactly what type of accomodation the person is living in.  Some may show tent, caravan etc in the case of travellers but as far as I am aware there was no requirement to specify
Ah ok, do you know where abouts in a 1911 census page it shows what type of accomodation the person is living in?

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed something - Ash Hill Common is their postal address, surely it would be a bit more detailed if it were a postal address right?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 21:05 GMT (UK) »
1911 census entries were the first completed by the householder and not the enumerator.  Your question re address can be found by looking at the householders signature and the box to the left

Many census entries do not show an actual house number just a road or street etc name

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Postal addresses are not necessarily very detailed. It varies, but might depend on the location, dates and the population. Many addresses on censuses are simply, for example, "High Street" and then the town name. Depending on the town or village there can be pages of people with the same address of "High Street".  :)

There have been numerous threads about odd addresses. One of mine lived "above the barn" in one census.

Also keep in mind that the census address is one night in ten years, so probably not wise to jump to any conclusions about addresses.

No censuses specifically show "type of accomodation" though with some it is included in their address. The 1911 census asks for "number of rooms" in the dwelling. That is on the bottom of the page. You could have a look at this number to get an indication of the size of the house and wealth of the family.

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Postal addresses are not necessarily very detailed. It varies, but might depend on the location, dates and the population. Many addresses on censuses are simply, for example, "High Street" and then the town name. Depending on the town or village there can be pages of people with the same address of "High Street".  :)

There have been numerous threads about odd addresses. One of mine lived "above the barn" in one census.

Also keep in mind that the census address is one night in ten years, so probably not wise to jump to any conclusions about addresses.

No censuses specifically show "type of accomodation" though with some it is included in their address. The 1911 census asks for "number of rooms" in the dwelling. That is on the bottom of the page. You could have a look at this number to get an indication of the size of the house and wealth of the family.

Well, Ash Hill Common, 0 rooms LOL.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 March 19 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Does it specifically say 0 rooms? How many occupants?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 19 05:14 GMT (UK) »