Author Topic: Could someone help with a Navy record please.  (Read 871 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Could someone help with a Navy record please.
« on: Thursday 28 March 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to help a friend with a query on her Grandfathers Navy Service rtecord.

We are trying to figure out what he was involved in, there are he names of various Vessels / Shore establishments on it and the word "Copra",   "Combined Operations Pay Records & Accounts"?

What does his mean, is it possible that he was attached to the combined operation section, on a vessel / landing craft in support of Commandos or Marines, I notice that the dates he came under that heading were from 1st of June 1944 until the 31st of October 1945 and he has he "Non Substantive" rating of "A.A.3, (Anti Aircraft Rating 3rd class?)

Any help would as always be greatly received, many thanks for reading my post and as always my very best regards.

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone help with a Navy record please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, here is the section of his record  ;D

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 19 16:38 GMT (UK) »
This may be helpful:

http://www.combinedops.com/COPRA.htm

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Judging by the bases he was at, it is very likely he served on Landing Craft. The ones listed on his service record were mostly shore based establishments which would have been where his pay office was located.
HMS Hamilcar was a landing craft base in Algeria. HMS Dinosaur was in Troon, Ayrshire (Landing Craft Tank HQ).
Do you know what his service number was?

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello IMBER and mathsmal, thank you so much for your replies.

Imber, thanks for the link, that's very interesting and tells me a lot, so thank you for that  :)

mathsmal, thank you for the information regarding the bases, very interesting indeed, regarding his service number, there is a number on the attached image, that may be it, but I am unsure, I will get in touch with my friend to see if she has it.

Many thanks to you both again, and as always my best regards.

Frank.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 March 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frank,
Most if not all were shore establishments of one sort or another.
COPRA was a Pay and Drafting office at Chelsea vacated 3/8/44
COPRA Drafting at Southend from 11/43 to Largs 05/10/45
COPRA  Pay at Largs by 08/44  closed 15/01/47
HAMILCAR Base for Combined Operations Personal in central and western Med. First at North Africa Djedjelli/Algiers later at Messina 23/06/44 closed 13/04/46 Also Landing Craft base.
EBERUS Turret drill ship and accomodation in reserve at Chatham 07/45 until 13/07/46.
No doubt others will  pad this out and explain AA3 etc.

regards SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 March 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello seaweed  :) thank you for your reply, things are starting to make a bit more sense now with the help of you all, many thanks indeed.

Frank.