Author Topic: Red WW2 Dog tag  (Read 550 times)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Red WW2 Dog tag
« on: Friday 29 March 19 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who came across his fathers Army Dog Tags.

There were the usual two but in addition there was a second red one which only has a large 'Y' written on it. He thinks his father was invalided out and it may be connected to that ?

Please could someone enlighten me.

Thanks

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Red WW2 Dog tag
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
From wikipedia:

During World War One and Two, service personnel were issued pressed fiber identity disks, one green octagonal shaped disc, and a red round disc (some army units issued a second red round disk to be attached to the service respirator). The identity disks were hand stamped with the surname, initials, service number and religion of the holder and if in the Royal Air Force, the initials RAF. The disks were worn around the neck on a 38" length of cotton cord, this was often replaced by the wearer with a leather bootlace. One tag was suspended below the main tag.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I have come across instances (haven't got chapter and verse any more) when men were issued with a third disc for some specific operation to identify the men involved in that one-off op.  This may well be something like that.  The chapter and verse that KGarrad cites was the norm.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you both, I shall relay that info to him.
The second red tag was exactly like the first bur had no info on it other than a large 'Y'  in what looked like blue/green crayon.

Thanks for your help
OFG