Author Topic: Understanding service records  (Read 314 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Understanding service records
« on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I have recently obtained my grandfathers army service record which covers WW1 and thru the 20's to 1932.   From 1923 onwards he appears to have been in the Territorial Army initially with the 9th HLI.    However there is an entry where he is "discharged" on one day, and immediately re-enlisted the following day in the Royal Engineers.   There is a reference which looks to read ".....discharged under A.O. 285 / 1924 para 27 (b)"    He then serves as a reserve from 1924 to 1932.     Can anyone tell me what the discharge reference means ?   Is this just an internal transfer ?

Also, his HLI service in 1923/24 is on a form title "Territorial Army", whereas the one from 1924 is titled "Army Reserve - Supplementary Reservists (Militiamen)" .   What's the significance of that, if any ?

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding service records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
The Supplementary Reserve was a change of title and organisation, in 1924, for what had previously been called the Special Reserve (Militia).  The Army Order (AO) quoted is likely to have been the one that brought it into existence.  There is something about its formation here:  https://jramc.bmj.com/content/jramc/100/1/16.full.pdf

On formation, some regiments and corps that did not have a Supplementary Reserve called for volunteers, among them were the Royal Engineers.  I suspect that he answered the call and therefore had to be discharged from the DLI as he was going to an organisation with different terms of service.  There was an annual gratuity for attending annual training, the amount depending on rank.  He was still in the reserves as with the TA previously.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding service records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.   That is very helpful.