Author Topic: Translation please.  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation please.
« on: Saturday 30 March 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Could I please ask someone to translate the article highlighted in the link attached?

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3687941/3687944/13/kerridge

This is titled, "Dolwyddelen"and dated 17 September 1915. I am particularly interested in the section which mentions Mrs Kerridge, Gwydr Arms.

Jo.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Translation please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Look to the right hand side on this link you need to select translate
https://papuraunewydd.llyfrgell.cymru/view/3687941/3687944/13/kerridge

ADDED
On the link you have given it gives you the opportunity to change it to English you need to click
Cymraeg as shown here
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 19 03:16 BST (UK) »
I won't translate the whole article, because most of it is a rant about the good old days when Sunday schools could afford trips! The article reports a Sunday school "staycation" by Dolwyddelan Anglican Church where a festival was held in Dolwyddelan and "Most of the sweets shared at the end of the event were provided by Mrs Kerridge, Gwydr Arms".

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 19 03:19 BST (UK) »
Look to the right hand side on this link you need to select translate
https://papuraunewydd.llyfrgell.cymru/view/3687941/3687944/13/kerridge

ADDED
On the link you have given it gives you the opportunity to change it to English you need to click
Cymraeg as shown here

In this instance what is changed by clicking the language option is just the interface of the site. The newspaper articles are still displayed in the language in which they were published.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 19 13:37 BST (UK) »
In this instance what is changed by clicking the language option is just the interface of the site. The newspaper articles are still displayed in the language in which they were published.

I am getting what I thought was a translation to English is this not what it is saying (I don't speak Welsh)  Sorry I am not typing it all out

.................Despite many years, it was the Sunday School practice of the two Churches to have a trip to the seaside, but .............so that we would be able to visit the sea. ...............But last Saturday, September 11, ......of Miss Jones, Benar View, was provided,................ The children came very briefly together, but the old houses were lacking in part to attend. ............ Mr. John Lloyd Hughes made his lavish work .............  The children were given a ............donated by MrsKerridge , Glass Arms. The children sang a variety of classical pieces ................
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I had a problem re the translation issue, because after clicking on the link I couldn't see anything to request a translation. Worked it out now - when I right click I get a menu which includes 'Translation into English'.
If you look at the other posting by Jo Harding you'll see she's interested in the Kerridge family. The reference to her roughly translated :
At the end, an abundant supply of sweets was distributed amongst the children, donated by Mrs Kerridge, Gwydr Arms.

Intend posting reply to the other posting I've referred to, later this afternoon.
Emyr

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you to EmyrBorth, Rosie99 and Dolgellau.

I had worked out that it mentioned schools as the word ysgol appears frequently. It is interesting to know what went on back then. The Sunday school trips were a highlight of village life.

Thanks again,

Jo.