Author Topic: Could someone confirm suspicions?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline azuldan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could someone confirm suspicions?
« on: Sunday 31 March 19 02:49 BST (UK) »
So just had a match come up for my parent as:
1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 854 cM across 28 segments (on ancestry)

Now I’ve looked at the dna painter thing, and I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly, could this also be a half-niece/nephew?

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone confirm suspicions?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 19 06:01 BST (UK) »
So just had a match come up for my parent as:
1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 854 cM across 28 segments (on ancestry)

Now I’ve looked at the dna painter thing, and I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly, could this also be a half-niece/nephew?

Here are the predicated results from DNA painter, which all have a 96.73% probability, and yes half-niece/nephew is one of the possible relationships.
Great-Grandparent
Great-Aunt / Uncle
Half Aunt / Uncle
1C
Half Niece / Nephew
Great-Niece / Nephew
Great-Grandchild

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline azuldan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
It seems a little high to be a half cousin, doesn't it? I think it means my dad has another brother!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
It is just within the range for a half 1C, but very much at the top end. I would explore the other alternatives suggested by DNA Painter if I were you.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline azuldan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
Well, the name this person has for his grandfather is unbelievably close to my grandfather. And not like any of the other siblings names.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 March 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Are you getting any helpful information out of shared matches to help you to see where this person fits into your tree?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline azuldan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
That's the thing, they don't have a tree as his father was a war baby and all they had is a name...
My 1st cousins show as matches to him, as do most of 2nd and 3rd cousins - but most are on my grandfathers side of the family anyway...

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
Then you need to work systematically through all of the potential positions that he might fit into the tree and see which ones can be eliminated. Use your other shared matches. Look at geographical information to see who could have been in the right place at the right time for conception of the war baby. Also consider using the What Are The Odds (WATO) tool on DNA Painter.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 April 19 15:02 BST (UK) »
Something very similar has turned up with me and my paternal first cousin. We have a new very close match, my cousin a bit closer than I am.

Strong shared matches are from both our paternal grandfather's and paternal grandmother's lines.

His father is still alive and is now going to get tested - he was born just after the war ended, brought up in foster care with no knowledge of either of his parents, but in later years traced his mother.

We are in all probability going to be first cousins with his father, one of us may have a previously unknown half brother, or maybe our cousin from the third son of our grandparents will have a half brother.

This sort of thing must be happening with families up and down the country, and all over the world. You just don't expect it to happen to you.

My thoughts are with the father, brought up not knowing either of his parents, now excited at 70+ years that he might now find some real family.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go