Author Topic: Royal Navy ratings records 1860's  (Read 326 times)

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy ratings records 1860's
« on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there - for the life of me I can't find any records other than signing up for continuous service for Charles James Sidaway, b 10 June 1843, Navy No. 33977, signed up for 10 years on 10 June 1861.

I've found an 1861 census that says he is a boy 1st Class on HMS Styx in Port Royal Jamaica.

Then I have no information at all about him, no census, service or death.

I have the only document for him under his service No. at NationalArchives but this is only his signing up details, no service record.

If anyone can help me out or point me in another direction to search I would be grateful.

Thanks so much.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy ratings records 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 March 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Checking out the National Archives guide on researching RN personnel of that time frame suggests that, as there are no further records after the CS engagement record in ADM 188/4, the next step would seem to be to use the "further research" route :
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-further-research/

MaxD

PS  There are two public family trees on Ancestry. one of which has a marriage and chidren.

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy ratings records 1860's
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Max. I will pursue at the NA. One of the trees is mine, the other with marriage has no supporting sources. I think I’ll send them a message to see if they have any evidence.

I’m surprised Charles doesn’t show in any further census or death records. If he died abroad whilst in theNavy I would have thought there would be a record. Fingers crossed there’s something at the National Archives.

Thanks again.