Author Topic: Fostering children 1900's  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fostering children 1900's
« on: Monday 01 April 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have just been reading a topic on Adoption in England.  So thought I would ask my question here as it is similar but not relevant to that topic.

I would like to know if children were Privately Fostered through church facilities back around 1900 - 1910.   
Could people do this and pay the foster parent/s for their keep etc?   

any info here would be appreciated.

Regards,     Essnell

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering children 1900's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, but not just through church facilities. Sometimes a family member or neighbour would take in a child.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 19 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclyn,   

Thankyou.  Would the churches have kept records of such.?

Essnell

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 19 01:10 BST (UK) »
I would like to know if children were Privately Fostered through church facilities back around 1900 - 1910.   
Could people do this and pay the foster parent/s for their keep etc?   

Do you have any info. for the chid/children from the census records?
What makes you think they were 'Fostered', do any records state so?
Had either/both parents died/emigrated or other?

There are many reasons for what was known in Scotland as 'Homers' which was another name for fostered.

Fostered children could also be with family members as well as strangers.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 19 02:02 BST (UK) »
I have no idea what records the churches might have kept. Probably not consistent. Also be aware that in that period children were being sent off to other countries on their own. An example being the British Home Children being sent to Canada, etc.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
An example being the British Home Children being sent to Canada, etc.

I think this is where the tag of 'Homer' originated although not all 'Homers' were sent abroad?

I had someone contact me (recommended) a while ago as their ancestor had been a 'Homer' in an area I do a lot of research in i.e. have a lot of records & experience in the area & basically it was child exploitation & their ancestor had had a very sad life unfortunately although not all children did but a lot did.

This person was deeply affected by the stories from their ancestor (a grandparent) although by then deceased but it was heartbreaking (truly)!

I had a distant relative who took in a 'Homer' who was unofficially 'Adopted' as their own who was well treated & went on to inherit my relatives estate etc.

Essnell, I think you need to give a bit more info. to determine possibilities as you haven't given any reference as to your thoughts on your initial post i.e. without any info. anyone reading can only speculate without knowing anything about previous family life regarding where parents were/area etc. at the time of the child/children being 'Fostered'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
Many children,especially boys were taken from the deepest slum in Manchester to Canada via a Society which “ rescued” such boys.
There were connections to Dwight  Moody of Sankey and Moody fame , hymn writers.
The life would be better in some ways but was really as has been mentioned child labour as what happened to them in many cases was exploitation.
My maternal grandmother took in four children of a neighbour.
Grandma was with the woman when she was dying and begged grandma to look after the children as the father had disappeared.
Grandma did,informally.
A couple I lived with during the war as an evacuee had adopted a boy through the Methodist church,but later when adoption was more regulated they were informed they must go through a long process of legalising it which they never did,not realising the long term implications which were that the boy ,although nurtured by them and who shared their estate with their daughter ,when he died the daughter who he saw as his sister did not inherit from him as he had left no will.
It was grossly unfair ,but legal.
There were many societies that took children in and transported them to “ better lives” which to be fair were in many ways but they were institutionalised,uniformed and farmed out with no safeguards as to their treatment thereafter.
I recommend “Angels from the Meadow” by James Stanhope -Brown
I S B N 0-9515652-1-4.
The Meadow being Angel Meadow ,the worst slum in Manchester as described by Friedrich Engels.
Hope this helps.
Viktoria.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 19 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Essnell

Yes, there was something like this in place.  However it was not done through any church or organisation as far as I know.  It was a private arrangement between individuals.  The best I can figure out is that these individuals must have been known about by 'word of mouth' or maybe even advertised in a local paper??.  One such case I came across the boy was 'fostered' his whole life.  The mother (a single mother) paid for the boy's board and care.  He knew the people he lived with were not his parents and saw his birth mother from time to time.

CD

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
I have an instance of this in a Scottish family named Topp. The 1891 census shows 3 boarders, little boys aged 4, 2 and 1 month all with the same surname of Hay. In the 1901 census the 2 year old is listed with the Topp surname. I have managed to trace two of the boys, both birth records show them as illegitimate, though later records state their mother to be Topp. I can't find any formal fostering or adoption records so I assume these boys were taken in initially for the income & later took their 'foster parents' surname
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.