Author Topic: Searching for George Charles Goddard or Harry Goddard of Broome W.A.  (Read 6915 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Charles Goddard or Harry Goddard of Broome W.A.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 05:19 BST (UK) »
JM
Thanks for those websites, no information for these two children on-line, I know the exact dates, I believe though that one of the children's grand-daughter has the birth certificate, with no father named thereon.

I do not have any further information on the passengers list either.  I was assisted by Canadian Rootschat member, who had access to that information.  No nothing about passport being issued.
Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 05:29 BST (UK) »
Passports for British Subjects basically start being a UK requirement from 1914.   So he would have needed a British Passport issued in perhaps 1926, so NOT from Canberra (parliament moved to there 1927)... most likely from Melbourne where all the various federal departments would have been working.   I would expect the passenger list would be available to inspect on one of the commercial websites - perhaps Ancestry or FindMyPast.   I think (from memory) that the 1920s ones were across two pages, but I seem to recall that the occupation was on the same side as the passport details, so perhaps I am not as confident as I could be.   BUT I am absolutely certain there would be passport info on the incoming passenger lists to Canada.

I am also sure that it will be unlikely for you to find much info on any passenger lists for coastal movements or interstate movements that would give you the vital clues for determining how your Harry got from W.A. to anywhere in 1926.  Sorry, but it was not actually a significant administrative matter for the powers that be in that era in the Commonwealth of Australia's admin  :D (as per phone advice from one of my retired rellies - formerly an Archivist ). 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 05:57 BST (UK) »
 :D  Some info that may be very helpful

WA electoral roll, 1925 PERTH,
John Clifford PURVIS, 117 Zebina Street, a labourer
William Ransom PURVIS, same address, also a labourer.

Canada Incoming passenger list
right hand page for entry re Harry...
Butcher
mother Mrs K Goddard, 4018 Avenue St, Vancouver
Friend, Mr J Piervis, 117 Zebina St, Western Australia
Melbourne/A45441  21/07/26 (Passport issued for Harry/ the number of that passport/date issued)

And, my apologies, my retired rellie is not a former Archivist, he is STILL an Archivist, but not gainfully employed. And he ought to join RChat  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
I have posted on your other current thread on the Canada board  re the incoming Canadian Passenger list,  including giving his passport number issued in Melbourne 21 July 1926.

Have you considered that J  Piervis and John Purvis likely same  person in W.A.

JM

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 23:35 BST (UK) »
JM
Thanks for that, and yes I did receive this information last night, and searched through Ancestry regarding this Purvis gentleman.   Maybe he was just a friend he had to name for his passport here in Australia, could not find Purvis having any association with Harry Goddard.   Harry Goddard had no other family member living in Australia, and we do know that he left this lady Esther Corpus in Broome and Court records in 1925 indicated that a Goddard was the Defendant in the Children's Court arrangements.
Jan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
WA BDM has a still birth (deaths) for unnamed CORPUS male at Broome in 1927,  and  also a birth at Broome in that surname in 1928.  I won't mention the given name for the birth as it is less than 100 years, so privacy and RChat rules.  But there were others with surname GODDARD in Broome and elsewhere in W.A in the 'right' timeframe. 

I do find it unusual that a person would claim a trade as a baker then a trade as a butcher and then a trade as a carpenter ... three very different trades.   And of course a Pearler and a Barman and a labourer...   I have ancestors in the 1880s through to the 1930s in Broome, Pearling across from there all the way across to Thursday Island.  I found it a very interesting learning curve, very multi-cultural, across huge religious differences, and with ethnicity barriers too ... Malay, Japanese, and first generation English/European.  Many many years/decades ago, I learnt that the treatment of Aboriginal Australians, particularly vulnerable young females living on the fringes of Broome was harsh; I found it to be a wrong (that) has not yet been reconciled. 

JM  edited to sort some grammar.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 23:58 BST (UK) »
Search as a guest and enter the name
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/

Some notes on John Clifford PURVIS.
He enlisted in WW1 in 1915 aged about 20. He was a miner at Kalgoorlie and his mother Sarah Jane, was his NOK. Her surname was COULTER, so perhaps she had made a second marriage.

Electoral Rolls show her at an address in Kalgoorlie up to 1920.
After that she was living at 117 Zebina St My Lawley.

PURVIS was twice wounded in action and was discharged in 1919.
There is also an unexamined record for one Harry GODDARD at the site I have given. It is a service record undigitised with a span of 1919/ 1920.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Good point Sue.   I think that naa.gov.au record for a Harry GODDARD could be helpful.  The series it belongs to shows in part that it is

'   Assistance and medical files, 1914/18 War, single number series with 'R' prefix'

There is a service number for that Harry Goddard at the naa index.   Perhaps it is a UK service number ??
GODDARD, Harry - Service Number - 377004

ADD ... that file's location is in the Perth office of NAA.   

JM

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi JM.
Yes I am aware of the birth in 1928, and know his name, still alive.  We are absolutely amazed at all the different occupations for this Harry Goddard, but certainly the occupation in Perth as Barman and his final occupation in Reading coincide.   Of course we have him also being Licensee in Broome after being a Pearler.     So the family trade in Reading Berkshire, they were definitely Butchers, Henry came to Australia as a Butcher, went to Canada likewise, but then left Canada as a Carpenter. Why, we don't know.   We have family members in Broome area, who are DNA connections through this Goddard family in Reading, Berkshire.
Oh yes, this family in Broome and Derby have been most interesting, they were treated badly.  We are looking at a well known Pastoralist marrying one of the Corpus family members.
Jan

WA BDM has a still birth (deaths) for unnamed CORPUS male at Broome in 1927,  and  also a birth at Broome in that surname in 1928.  I won't mention the given name for the birth as it is less than 100 years, so privacy and RChat rules.  But there were others with surname GODDARD in Broome and elsewhere in W.A in the 'right' timeframe. 

I do find it unusual that a person would claim a trade as a baker then a trade as a butcher and then a trade as a carpenter ... three very different trades.   And of course a Pearler and a Barman and a labourer...   I have ancestors in the 1880s through to the 1930s in Broome, Pearling across from there all the way across to Thursday Island.  I found it a very interesting learning curve, very multi-cultural, across huge religious differences, and with ethnicity barriers too ... Malay, Japanese, and first generation English/European.  Many many years/decades ago, I learnt that the treatment of Aboriginal Australians, particularly vulnerable young females living on the fringes of Broome was harsh; I found it to be a wrong has not yet been reconciled. 

JM