Author Topic: Fisher  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fisher
« on: Monday 01 April 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

I am currently researching the Fisher family.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
I know that John and Sarah Fisher had a girl named Mary in 1810.  I know that Mary got married to George Berry in Toronto in 1834.  Mary died in 1866. John, Sarah and Mary emigrated to Canada in the 1820's.  Are their emigration records for this period?  Ancestry does not seem to show any UK census in the 1810 - 1830 period.  Is this accurate?

I realize this is not a lot of information, but just wondered if someone could advise me on next research steps.

Thanks

Roger
Robineau, Cartie, Sauve, Powell, White, Jenkins

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 19 19:53 BST (UK) »
The censuses taken before 1841 offer very little information to the FH Researcher.
Where they survive, you might get the name of head of household, but no other names.

The UK Board of Trade didn't keep passenger lists before 1890.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thank You

Offline StripySnake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Emigration records are very patchy for before 1890ish. A few do exist. Have you tried the National Archives?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/emigration/

Your main chance of finding the Fishers online is parish records, most of which still exist from this era and a large (and growing) proportion of which are now searchable online through the usual sites.
Do you have any idea at all where in England the Fishers originated from? The names are very common, unfortunately!

In answer to your question about Britain's censuses - the first 4 (1801-1831) didn't record people's names. They were basically headcounts for each property with a few extra bits about types of trade carried out. Not much use for most genealogy purposes.
Note though - that's only the national ones. A few local areas carried out some very detailed censuses/collections off their own bat. You might get lucky.

best of luck!

stripe
Elmsett, Suffolk - Green, Gant, Hiskey, Sparks families

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 19 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thank You

I have just started so i am hoping for more detailed parish records. 

Roger

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
In this thread , i refer to Mary as a daughter of Sarah and John.  This is inaccurate.  I now realize that Mary is John's sister.

Thanks

Roger