Author Topic: Harry Bennett  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bennett
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
As these are not my relatives except by marriage and I have ov er 16,000 people did not feel I wanted the added expense of tracing them.  Will leave that for an actual family person.  Do really appreciate all the help though.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:28 BST (UK) »
here is another picture:
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 April 19 08:52 BST (UK) »
Considering Reuben was born in 1913, and his mother married Henry in 1917, I wonder if Henry officially adopted Reuben, and if so, there should be a record of such.

But where would it be?

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 April 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
Considering Reuben was born in 1913, and his mother married Henry in 1917, I wonder if Henry officially adopted Reuben, and if so, there should be a record of such.
This is before 1930, when formal adoption was introduced, so there won't be any paper trail.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 April 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
Re the The Adoption of Children (Scotland) Act, 1930, I remembered that it started in 1904, silly me.

Malky

Ps, I would post the registry entries for Reuben's birth and marriage, but the "Copyright police" would probably smack my fingers. So I will hold back.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am only guessing but believe that Ella was too young being only 18 and needed ti be 21 to marry Harry.  In those days they were more sticky about allowing children to marry under age.  Both children were well trained in music so perhaps they thought she'd get over him?  Just a guess on my part.  It is obvious they got married when she turned 21. I don't know but have posted Rueben's birth date - unsure if anyone reading it would notice that but perhaps some would.  Means nothing today when kids live together, have children and often do not get married. :D ;D

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 April 19 15:45 BST (UK) »
Birth Register.
Child                      Date             Address                                 Mother’s name and
Reuben Kitson Mitchell  1913 December 21st 535 Dumbarton Road, Partick.  Maggie Bella Mitchell, Occupation:- Vocalist

Status of child, Illigimate. Registered 2nd January 1914, Glasgow.

Register of corrected entries states that Reuben Kitson junior, metal merchant, was the father.

Marriage register

Date:- 15 March 1941 at 117 Great Southern Road, Aberdeen.
Reuben Mitchell Bennett, formerly Reuben Kitson Mitchell. Reuben M Bennett, Professional football player, Corporal the Gordon Highlanders, Bachelor.
Age 27.
Address :- 20 Whitehouse Street, Aberdeen, Now engaged in war service.
Father :- Reuben Kitson, Metal merchant
Mother :- Maggie Bella Mitchell, “known as?”  married to Henry Duncan Bennett. Trawl fisherman.
Wife:- Helen Ross Blackhall.
Address :- 5 Canal Terrace, Aberdeen

Copied/transcribed from the records in Scotlands People.

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 April 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am only guessing but believe that Ella was too young being only 18 and needed ti be 21 to marry Harry. 
Where did that come from?

The index entries Malky found say that she was born in 1887 and married in 1917. That's at age 29 or 30. She would not have had time for a career as an opera singer before her marriage if she married at 18.

And she would have been 25 or 26 when Reuben was born in 1913.

BTW I see on the Wikitree that "Grandma Bennett had two brothers, one was a dentist, George Mitchell ....  Grandma Bennett’s other brother was Joey Bennett". That can't be right. If her maiden surname was Mitchell and her married name was Bennett, then Joey Bennet could have been just about any relation to her except her full brother.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 April 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Now that is a surprise to me and not sure if my cousin knows any of this.  Things are not always as they seem and even  back then hormones took over peoples lives. :D
Thank you for posting that.