Author Topic: Suffragettes: Not on 1911 census  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suffragettes: Not on 1911 census
« on: Tuesday 02 April 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
According to a notice on the Glasgow & West Of Scotland FHS, Suffragettes took steps not to be on the 1911 census to promote their cause:-

"NO VOTES FOR WOMEN:  NO CENSUS

On this day 2 April 1911 - thousands of women across Britain 'hid' from the authorities to avoid being counted in the 1911 Census.

The idea was that if women could not vote - they would not cooperate with the Government by being counted.
In cities all across Britain women gathered in secret 'safe' houses to avoid the count while in London, some Suffragettes hired the Aldwych skating rink so that they could skate through the night!

Women were encouraged to deface their census returns which they did in their hundreds so if you have a family member missing from the 1911 census returns - perhaps she was a Suffragette! "

https://www.facebook.com/SuffragetteLife/photos/pcb.2873698462855611/2873698142855643/?type=3&theater
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Suffragettes: Not on 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 15:37 BST (UK) »
I turned up an odd 1911 return the other day claiming that John Henry XYZ was married to John Henry XYZ.  On examining the image it turned out that the real John Henry had entered his wife Dorinda (I knew that from other records) as Mrs John Henry ('Mrs' struck out later).  So the transcriber had only followed the rules .....   ::)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
I recently came across a site which seems to be covering similar ground:

https://www.mappingwomenssuffrage.org.uk/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
I've found all my female ancestors listed on the 1911 census.  However, as I knew most of them personally, and knowing it was they who ruled their own households I think they were quite comfortable not joining the suffragette movement.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:51 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census you can see my 3x great grandmother's name has started to be written down but then it's crossed out. I can't find her living anywhere else. I have wondered if that meant she supported the Suffragette movement.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
I turned up an odd 1911 return the other day claiming that John Henry XYZ was married to John Henry XYZ.  On examining the image it turned out that the real John Henry had entered his wife Dorinda (I knew that from other records) as Mrs John Henry ('Mrs' struck out later).  So the transcriber had only followed the rules .....   ::)

That must have been an interesting household - looks like quite a batle of wills was going on.

I'm pondering on whether he was a meek and mild man trying to protect his wife from the heavy hand of the law for not being registered.  Or, whether he was just as strong willed as her and insisted she was registered..

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census you can see my 3x great grandmother's name has started to be written down but then it's crossed out. I can't find her living anywhere else. I have wondered if that meant she supported the Suffragette movement.

From the Suffragette instructions I've posted, the norm appears to be to cross out their names.  The more fervent activists took a step further and hid.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
That must have been an interesting household - looks like quite a batle of wills was going on.

I'm pondering on whether he was a meek and mild man trying to protect his wife from the heavy hand of the law for not being registered.  Or, whether he was just as strong willed as her and insisted she was registered.. 

Actually I don't think this was anything to do with suffragettes, tho it may have been I suppose.  It must have been a sad house, as the score was 7 births but zero survivals.  There had been two sets of twins which must have lasted weeks at most.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young