Author Topic: How common was literacy in the late 1700s?  (Read 220 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How common was literacy in the late 1700s?
« on: Tuesday 02 April 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
So thanks to a local lookup done by a kind rootschatter, I have a photo of the paper marriage record of my 4x great grandparents in 1798.

The first thing that jumped out at me - I was surprised to discover that my 4x great grandfather (b. 1775) could sign his name. He was a farm labourer in a tiny village, so I always imagined he'd have been illiterate.

I'm aware that I might just have a mistaken idea about how prevalent illiteracy was ay the time - how common would it have been for rural working people to read and write (or at least sign their names)?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How common was literacy in the late 1700s?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How common was literacy in the late 1700s?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
Fascinating thread! Thanks for the link, Stan!