Author Topic: Mystery Burial St David's October 1906  (Read 3020 times)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Burial St David's October 1906
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  The Eliza Richards who died 2 days beforehand lived on Nun Street according to the death certificate. 

On of the Forum members has identified that Nun Street at the time ran from Cross Square up into Oakley Street. At some time the name has changed so now the whole road is known as Nun Street including what was Oakley St.

This does seem to be a huge coincidence that death and burial records are only 2 days apart for women of the same name who lived on what was the same stretch of road.  If it was not for the different ages then I would be certain.

Alan

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
When you say her brother reports it, do you mean you have the death cert?

And your Elizabeth is the one posted by Carol, with husband John? In which case the burial is not “yours”?

Perhaps you need to give us a bit more information about “your” Elizabeth.

The women I am trying to find out about was Eliza Richards born Llanrhian 1865.  Father is John Richards 1824-1889 and Mother Jane Bateman 1831-1868.

6 brothers and sisters and 5 half-brothers from John Richard's second marriage to Amy Phillips 1847-1886.

She is unmarried but has a child, George Mortimer Brown Richards 16 October 1897 on Ramsay island.  His father, George Mortimer Brown,  is an older widower and a drunkard according to newspaper reports of several arrests for that offence.  Eliza is sent to Ramsay Island to have the child: by whom is not known.  3 years later, she  is the only resident on the Island on the 1901 census (it is part of the St David's parish and is owned by the Church at the time).  prior to that I have her as a servant for the Watkins family in St David's in 1881 but no record for 1891.

Here is where it gets hazy.  George's birth is registered but he is not Christened.  He is on the 1911 census living with his Aunt in Aberdare where he is declared as a nephew.  He is not told that he is adopted until WW1.  He is then told that his mother died a few days after he was born in 1897 and is buried on the north side of St David's Cathedral.

In reality there is no record of any one fitting her profile dying before 1906.  I have a copy of a death certificate for 18 October 1906 listing Eliza Richards, Nun St St David's, Domestic Servant, cause is paraplegia 3 years (not sure what caused this) her age is given as 40 and it is reported by John Richards, brother, of Cross Square.  The record is made on 13 Nov 1906.

That's as far as I have got so in an effort to confirm the death was hers in 1906  the Cathedral provided me with a copy of the burial record for Elizabeth Richards on 20 Oct 1906.  it clearly says that the age is 77.  This is either wrongly recorded or there is a huge coincidence especially as BMD does not have a death record for another Elizabeth Richards dying in Haverfordwest that year.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or help as to why there is this mismatch.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have this copy of the Burial certificate.  If it is not the Elizabeth Richards who died on 18 Oct 1906 and lived on the same road, then who was she?

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 April 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
The BMD record does not show a 77 year old dying in 1906 in Haverfordwest which is why there is a contradiction.  I thought that this would be a legal requirement so should be recorded on BMD?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
There are a few posts on rootschat about deaths not appearing on the GRO index.  Clerical error probably but how could you ever prove what happened.  The GRO index that appears on freebmd has been typed up so it is possible it was missed off at this stage.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  I have searched for any 71/72 years old by that name living in St David's in the 1901 census to no avail.  However the absence of a candidate 5 years' earlier is not proof that she did not exist.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Possibly this one.
1901 - Nun Street, St Davids, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
Elizabeth Richards - Widow   age 75 born Mathry, Pembrokeshire, Wales

In 1891 she is 63 and single with a daughter Elizabeth
RG12/4539 f62 p12

Ages at death are unreliable as they depend on the knowledge of the informant 

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The fact that she is in living in Nun Street in 1901 is an extreme coincidence as that is the 40 year old's death certificate.  If the age in 1901 is wrong and the 1891 record right, she could have been 72/73 in 1901 which would tie up with the burial record some 5 years' later.

How old was the daughter Elizabeth in 1891?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 April 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
Daughter Elizabeth was 30 in 1891  ;D