Author Topic: Drowned mariner- how can I find out more?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drowned mariner- how can I find out more?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ.
There are several newspaper reports of storms along the east coast at that time so I think it is probable Southwold area was affected. The deaths of John Burn and James Mallett or Mallard are definitely recorded and I have a copy from the register but I need to look up the catalogue reference of those records. Thank you for looking. What I need is some local knowledge of tides etc and likely places for bodies washed up (if they ever were...may be at bottom of deep blue sea)

Thank you especially for the info re Shipwash as I had not seen it on a map before. It is further south than I thought so perhaps I need to look at records for that area. But I have no idea what the likelihood is of their bodies being discovered. Did most drownings in this area result in bodies turning up or were most lost forever. Need an expert on this coastline, please!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have found the Marine Deaths records now: Jas Mallard and John Brown !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm - the Sheepwash is in the Baudsey Sand area per this 1778 publication: https://bit.ly/2OHgZWH
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
Solid Rock
Thank you for your information. I visited the Sailors ReadingRoom a few years ago after learning that the wheel of the James and Eleanor is one of the exhibits. I was thrilled to stand and hold the wheel so many years after my ancestor who was Mate on the ship! And I also visited the wonderful Alfred Corry Museum. It was the Alfred Corrywhich went to the rescue of the J&E 30 years later again near Southwold.
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Westoe
I think slog is the right word to use. I am clutching at straws, I know. But clutching at straws is how I have made some of my most important discoveries! And there is always the chance that someone may read these posts and be able to tell me more. Thanks for your interest! I have now managed to pinpoint the location of the Shipwash more accurately so all I need now is an expert on drowned bodies and where they might be washed up!
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
Me again, Belfordian,

You wrote:
"What I need is some local knowledge of tides etc"

Have remembered something from many years ago which may be of help - a source for historical tides and other info. Now mind, it is a for-fee service, but not as dear as many.

ADMIRALTY EasyTide
Welcome to Admiralty EasyTide the most comprehensive tidal prediction service on the Web. The service provides tidal data for over 7000 ports worldwide together with a host of other useful information.

EasyTide has been improved, now enabling you to select the date of your prediction. Choose any date between 100AD and up to 50 years in the future and access tide predictions for 7 or 14 days at a time. Enhanced predictions also include other useful information such as times of sunrise/sunset, lunar phases and Springs and Neaps data. Prices for enhanced predictions start at £1.00 (inc. VAT) for a 7 day prediction. Further information about pricing is available.

Predictions for the forthcoming week are still available free of charge.

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/index.aspx     

*******************************************************************                 
EDIT: Seaweed's post below made me realise my error here. Belfordian is concerned with JAMES, not JOHN & ELEANOR.

Another item:
JOHN & ELEANOR is a not-uncommon vessel name. Can you further identify her for me with Official Number (O.N. or O/N), tonnage, master etc? I have some information on one if she is the right one.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:27 BST (UK) »

Another item:
JOHN & ELEANOR is a not-uncommon vessel name. Can you further identify her for me with Official Number (O.N. or O/N), tonnage, master etc? I have some information on one if she is the right one.

Cheers,
Westoe

Westoe, 
Is this the one
JAMES AND ELEANOR O/N 21456 a Brig of 190 tons, built Blyth 1858 Registered in Shields North. Wrecked 1895.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_cr1=BT110&_dss=range&_ro=any&_aq=21456
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Westoe & Seaweed
Yes that is the ship, built BLYTH, wrecked 1895 off Southwold. A few Crewlists have survived but none for the period. I am interested in. The wheel must have been washed ashore and for many years hung in the house of  a local person. It was transferred to the Sailors Reading Room in the latter half of the 20c. It was a snow with a crew of 5.
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
Westoe
Thank you for info re tides. I,ll investigate that website.
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)