Author Topic: Trevanian Peter Symonds WW2 RAF  (Read 103 times)

Offline Stuart Symonds

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trevanian Peter Symonds WW2 RAF
« on: Wednesday 03 April 19 01:19 BST (UK) »
My Father, Trevanian Peter Symonds was a radio operator in Bombers (Lancasters I think) during WW2. He was involved in an accident and transferred from operational flying to training where he attained the rank of Sergeant. I don't know his service number; where he was stationed; or dates of service. I know he didn't claim his medals when he discharged after the war, but expressed regret years later, before his death. I would like to find out about his service and claim his medals for the family. I am in Australia so can't search actual records.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trevanian Peter Symonds WW2 RAF
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

WW2 records are still with the MOD.  This link gives details on applying for them but they will cost 30 unless your mother is still alive and you can apply for her in which case they would be free
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trevanian Peter Symonds WW2 RAF
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Rosie's pointer - you won't need his service number as long as you have his date of birth (and death cert).

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia