Author Topic: Different religions for siblings  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Different religions for siblings
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:32 BST (UK) »
A couple of thing I noticed re Richard and Elizabeth.
Richard was born April 1867 according to birth registration. I can't read exact date. He was baptised in June. Catholic babies were usually baptised soon after birth. I assumed eldest son would have been baptised into father's denomination.
Elizabeth was baptised 14th Nov. 1868. The Elizabeth of the birth registration posted by myluck reply #21 was allegedly born in December 1869.   ??? One Elizabeth or 2?  :-\
Informant of Margaret's birth 1877 was Elizabeth Lane. A responsible child if it was young Elizabeth, aged 8 or 7.  :)
Cowban

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 April 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
myluck! thanks so much for putting this family together, especially the links to the civil records and the marriages. Fantastic!

It's interesting about Margaret Lane's possible death in 1898. The age and place fit, but I need to see if there's another Maggie Lane connected to the family.

Maiden Stone, Richard gives his religion as Church of Ireland on the 1901/1991 census so perhaps his baptism was delayed as his parents "discussed" his religion?

You're right about the gap between Eliza's baptism and birth registration. She died on 15 Oct 1941 age 71 which suggests the December 1869 birth is correct.

I think Eliza was about 15 at the time of her brother Geoffrey's birth and 17 when her sister Annie was born so that's feasible but to be the informant on Margaret's birth aged 7ish is a bit of a stretch. I'd love to see her signature on the original document! I'm guessing that this Lizzie Lane is an aunt. On the later births, it does say "sister" but not on this one.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 April 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
I'd love to see her signature on the original document! I'm guessing that this Lizzie Lane is an aunt.
No certificates I have seen of this time have a signature for informant, just the name & address written by registrar or clerk. I have an informant aged 13 on her mother's death certificate in 1855 London [father had died a week previously].

I suspect your guess of an aunt is likely to be correct.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 April 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
The informant for Richard, 1867 was Lucy Lane.

Here is a marriage in 1883, Lucy Lane, full age with father Richard Lane and Thomas Smith. A witness is James Lane.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10930/5993461.pdf

1901 census here is likely for Thomas and Lucy Smith - 48yrs born abt 1853.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Roxborough/Lemonfield/1495957/

This death supports the year of birth
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05535/4551685.pdf

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 April 19 12:31 BST (UK) »
There is a death here for Richard Lane 70yrs in 1885 - residence Ballycahane. The informant is Lizzie Lane, granddaughter.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06274/4797340.pdf

And his widow Eliza with informant Eliza Lane, granddaughter.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06245/4787970.pdf

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:42 BST (UK) »

Maiden Stone, Richard gives his religion as Church of Ireland on the 1901/1991 census so perhaps his baptism was delayed as his parents "discussed" his religion?

You're right about the gap between Eliza's baptism and birth registration. She died on 15 Oct 1941 age 71 which suggests the December 1869 birth is correct.

I think Eliza was about 15 at the time of her brother Geoffrey's birth and 17 when her sister Annie was born so that's feasible but to be the informant on Margaret's birth aged 7ish is a bit of a stretch. I'd love to see her signature on the original document! I'm guessing that this Lizzie Lane is an aunt. On the later births, it does say "sister" but not on this one.
I also imagined discussions about which church Richard should be baptised at. I also imagined his mother saying nothing about baptism until she was able to take him to church herself. She may have come under pressure from her relatives, friends or a priest. It may have depended on whether both parents were equally attached to their religion at the time. Influence of grandparents can also bear weight.
The Elizabeth Lane who registered Margaret's birth didn't sign, she made her mark.
Cowban

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 April 19 01:57 BST (UK) »
I shouldn't try to do this late at night - I can't believe I overlooked the X on Margaret's birth cert.

This morning I'm wide awake :-) And thanks to your suggestion, Maiden Stone, I think I've found the marriage of James Lane and Anne Keating - in Westminster London!

James Lane Sept Qtr 1866 Westminster 1A 769 Anne Keating

It's not conclusive as there's another possible bride mentioned (Ann McCoy) but the year fits. I can just imagine them taking off to London to marry because of opposition from both sets of parents. What do you think?

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 06 April 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
heywood, great finds for Richard and Lucy Lane - thanks so much - great to have James' parents. Lizzie Lane was certainly kept busy being informant on all those certificates!
England:

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 06 April 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
That marriage looks interesting.
The other couple are Andrew Kechie and Ann McCoy.
I can see a parish record - Catholic Westminster but have no access on that paid site and there is a corresponding entry for Ann McCoy.
There is a birth in 1872, for John Kechie, St George Hanover Square, London with a mother’s name McCoy  :)