Author Topic: Harriet Nuttall  (Read 825 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Nuttall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
On the censuses, Ann Jane gives Manchester as her p.o.b.
Perhaps she was raised there and did not know where she was born.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 April 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
there is a death of a Harriet Pedley in Congleton in 1872 who seems to be about the right age according to the 1841 census. Death age 51

Possibly in the workhouse in 1871

edit - however that Harriet seems to be the daughter of James Pedley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 April 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
There is a birth and death of Charles Pedley to Joshua and Harriet 1837/1838 - Astbury.
Presumably, after their marriage in Manchester, they returned to Joshua’s home area but then back to Manchester for 1841.

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 April 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
Here is an update on Ann Jane Pedley.  I have received the birth certificate for an Ann Jane Pedley born in Congleton in 1843 but it is not her, the fathers name is Edward Pedley and mother is Hannah Pedley nee Worth  I know Ann Jane's father was Joshua as that is on her wedding certificate.  This is a complete mystery.  Ann Jane married John Westwood and on all the census she says she was born in Manchester.  I cannot find any record of her birth.  In 1841 Joshua and Harriet are listed as living in Ancoats, Salford, Manchester and also a child Charles who was born in Astbury in 1837 and died in 1838.  Joshua and Harriet were married in Manchester in 1834.  Joshua was deported in 1844.  Any help would be appreciated, this is a challenge, I am at a loss to know where to look next.  Many thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 April 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update.
It is a puzzle.

Ann Jane says her father is Joshua on her marriage certificate and the occupation fits.
As there is no birth record evidence, it is not known who her parents are except for her claim re Joshua.
She may have been  the child of Harriet by another man or the child of Joshua by another woman.

I think that is the situation anyway  :-\

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 April 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
Ann Jane's birth may not have been registered. I understand that in the early years of birth registrations, onus was on registry office staff to collect information about births in their district. Babies could easily be overlooked in a city like Manchester.
There was a small child belonging to one of my families on 1841 census who has no birth registration. I couldn't find a baptism either. She doesn't show up on 1851 census. There was no death registration for her 1841-1851. She remains a mystery. The family lived in a rapidly growing industrial town. Had they remained in the village whence they came, that child's birth would have been registered and she would have been baptised at the village church.
Cowban