Author Topic: Nantwich Deaths pre 1841  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nantwich Deaths pre 1841
« on: Wednesday 03 April 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to find any record of the deaths of my great great grandparents, John Judson, born 1795 and Hannah née Sutton, born 1793. Both were born and lived in Nantwich, Cheshire. They do not appear in the 1841 census, and the last record of them is at the birth of their youngest child in 1828. There was a typhoid epidemic in Nantwich in 1840 and I wonder if they died in that, although the burial of some victims were recorded, and their deaths should have been registered. (I realise that some events were not recorded in the early days of the General Register). I have not been able to find any record of them, or their deaths, elsewhere, and I think it unlikely that they would have left their three children, who were recorded in Nantwich in the 1841 census. Some typhoid victims were treated in the Nantwich workhouse, but unfortunately records have not survived.
I would appreciate comments.

Don

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Nantwich Deaths pre 1841
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 15:33 BST (UK) »
Civil Registration didn't start until 1837 so quite probably died late 20's - early 30's.
There are other scenarios other than both dying.
It's possible she died shortly after birth & he left the children with family never to return.
It's possible he died & she remarried & left the children.
Who were the children with in 1841?
Were they together or spread around the family?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
No trace of a death for John & Hannah but did find this below.

Mary Ann Judgson
Mother Hannah Judgson
Father John Judgson
1822 Death about 1834

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
There is a Christening for a Mary Ann Judson Nantwich, Cheshire 14/11/1821 parents John & Hannah Judson, Fathers occupation Cordwainer.
Then I found a burial for Mary Ann Judgson age 12 in Nantwich 1/3/1834 Parents John & Hannah Judgson. Could this be the same girl with the parents you are looking for? Perhaps a misinterpretation of the surname.
There is also a Christened for Henry Judson 28/1/1820 Parents John & Hannah Judson.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
I haven't followed this long enough to be absolutely sure it's your Hannah, BUT it looks like a possiblity:

In the 1841 census, two of their children, Henry, and John, are living with a cordwainer William Farmer and wife Hannah.

There is a marriage in 1835 Manchester for a widowed William Farmer, shoemaker, and widow Hannah Judson.

There is a death for a Hannah Farmer in 1845, but the GRO indicates an age of 59, so not her.
There is a marriage for William Farmer's daughter, Hannah Farmer, in 1847 to Henry Murray, and in the 1851 census, this Henry and Hannah are living in Manchester, with some Farmers, occupation shoemakers, living with them, described as brothers -in-laws.  The marriage parish record does not indicate if William is deceased.

So in summary, John died prior to 1835.  Hannah remarried William Farmer in 1835, and her sons are with her in 1841.  I have not yet located William and Hannah in 1851 census, assuming they are still alive.

It needs more poking around to see if it holds water, but it could very well be your Hannah.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
No trace of a death for John & Hannah but did find this below.

Mary Ann Judgson
Mother Hannah Judgson
Father John Judgson
1822 Death about 1834

Colin

Where did you find that information?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 23:12 BST (UK) »
Following on from bbart's post there is a burial for the Hannah Farmer identified in Nantwich 31 Oct 1845 - it states " wife of William Farmer" and gives an abode of Wall Lane, Nantwich- this is the same street where William and Hannah Farmer are found in the 1841 census. The only thing "out" is her age.

William 
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 01:08 BST (UK) »
Following on from bbart's post there is a burial for the Hannah Farmer identified in Nantwich 31 Oct 1845 - it states " wife of William Farmer" and gives an abode of Wall Lane, Nantwich- this is the same street where William and Hannah Farmer are found in the 1841 census. The only thing "out" is her age.

William

That sounds promising.  Depending on who was informant, the age might have been a best guess. 

Either John Judson didn't get buried in Nantwich, as the records are quite complete for the time, OR, the front of the 1830 burial book indicates some damaged pages, and he happened to be on one of those.  >:(

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
couldn't find Johns baptism on CPRDb
in case you don't have HANNAHS
KEYCODE   NANTC04800520.20402
PADVER   nantC0520.2
PARISH_CODE   NANT
TAGGED   0
DATED   7931121
FORENAME   HANNAH
SEX   F
FATHER_FORENAME   THOMAS
MOTHER_FORENAME   ELIZTH
SURNAME   SUTTON
OCCUPATION   LABOURER
DATE_OF_BIRTH   7931026
possible for parents marriage - Thomas and Elizabeth

DATED   7910912
GROOM_FNAME   THOMAS
GROOM_SNAME   SUTTON
GROOM_STATUS   BA
GROOM_OCCUPATION   FARMER
GROOM_RESID   BUNBP
GROOM_SIGN   S
BANNS   LC
BRIDE_FNAME   ELIZABETH
BRIDE_SNAME   JONES
BRIDE_STATUS   SP
BRIDE_RESID   BUNBP
BRIDE_SIGN   S
W_FNAME_1   WILLM
W_SNAME_1   JONES
W_FNAME_2   PETER
W_SNAME_2   YOUNG
7 miles from Bunbury to Nantwich - as I say - just a possible
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford