Author Topic: Polish Records - ALl help appreciated.  (Read 1822 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Polish Records - ALl help appreciated.
« on: Wednesday 03 April 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Does anyone know where they keep Polish telephone directories in England or would there be all directories at main library in for example Krakow. Also was there such things as land tax records/censuses etc. Sorry to ask so many questions but I am totally new to Polish research.

I am researching the name Teresko in Mlawa I was hoping that there may be distant cousins etc. The forenames I am researching are Piotr. Plato, Stephan & Valentino/e. I think that Stephen had children called Alexander, Nicolai & Anatasia so they may have survived. We do know they were Catholics and had a farm in/around Mlawa.

Piotr was born in 1924 and I am trying to find his parents Maria Anna & Plato's marriage. Piotr is my granddaughter's Great Grandad and she really wants to find out about her Polish Roots.

I have been told that this surname is not Polish (ends in sko not ski and it is more popular in the Ukraine/Belarus area.
Many thanks
Gaynori

Offline Adam81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Polish Records - ALl help appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the surname was exactly Teresko? Do you have any documents with this surname? Very unusual for Poland.

Try to search here. However this surname  is not showing up.

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=07mz&rid=628&search_lastname=teresko&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&rpp1=&ordertable=
Wackermann
Molatta
Cuber
Cygan
Biela
Bielawski
Leibiniec
Dubeński
Wicher
Duzinkiewicz

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I have two documents his wedding certificate & his naturalisation certificate and both spelt like that.

Polish friends of my granddaughter have said it is not Polish despite him being born in Mlawa. They said it was either Ukrainian or Russian/Belarus.

We need his birth certificate because it will show details of his parent's marriage which could be crucial as to finding where they were from.

Someone suggested Family Search but I am having difficulty as just says "Loading"
Kind Regards

Gaynori

Offline Adam81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 19 07:43 BST (UK) »
If that is say English certificate then his surname could be misspelled. Please give me us many details as you can: exact date, parents etc. I'll call archives in Mława where this cert is likely stored. You can send PM if you wish.
Wackermann
Molatta
Cuber
Cygan
Biela
Bielawski
Leibiniec
Dubeński
Wicher
Duzinkiewicz

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 19 08:18 BST (UK) »
Piotr Teresko in the London Gazette is a metal finisher from Poland living in Bedfordshire
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/42882/page/96/data.pdf

There is also an
Elias Teresko in the London Gazette from Latvia
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/48527/page/2339/data.pdf

Makes you wonder if they are related?

*Added surname seems common in Latvia
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
I actually have the wierd feeling that privacy laws will prevent you from seeing an index with Piotr's birth entry online

You see if he was born in 1924 then you would have to  apply to the Polish government for his birth record.

Technically it could be publically closed in 2025?

The Polish archives for Mlawa I can see only go to 1917 births

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/

This facebook page explains in English how to work the archive.

I honestly think you would have to apply for his birth registration via an agent in Poland.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes Whiteout7 that is what I am afraid of as I have heard it can be enormously expensive. Looking at flights it would be probably cheaper to go there myself and get it, if I could!! My granddaughter has a friend in Poland so maybe pay him to go and get it lol

Thank you Adam81 I have very scant details but here goes. Piotr was born on/ or registered (not too sure how it works in Poland) on 1st October 1924. He gives his place of birth as Mlawa Poland

Naturalisation Certificate:
Certificate No BNA 73360 Date of Issue 24th Oct 1962 Parents Names Plato & Anna (We think his mother's name was actually Maria Anna) Place of birth Mlawa

His father died when he was very little and brought up by Anna and his Uncle/Grandfather Valentino. We think his Mother/Father had a brother called Stephan (he had 3 children Alexander, Nicolai & Anatasia). (This is from a distant cousn who knew Piotr.)

As to the surname someone sent my granddaughter this:

By reading some wikipedia entry, I have learned that Tereshko is also a diminutive form of the first name Terentiy: Terentiy (Tereshko) Makarovych Parkhomenko (1872-1910) (or as he was known Tereshko) was one of the most respected kobzars of the late 19th and early 20th century. He would be considered an Ukrainian today. This brought to my attention the wikipedia transliteration rules from Russian first names to English ones (similar rules must exist for Ukrainian and Belarusian names). Here is the one of interest:
Russian name: Терентий;
Transliteration: Terenty;
Conventional/Anglicized forms: Terentiy, Terence;
Diminutive forms: Tereshko
Origin: Latin (male Terentius, female Terentia)
This suggests that the origin of your last name, is in the Roman family name Terentius/Terentia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terentius_(gens) This was followed by conversion to the first name Terentiy, diminution to one of these forms: Tereshko, Tereszko, Tereško and finally by making them back into the surnames.A big number of Tereško Google hits originating from Latvia still puzzles me.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Gaynori

Offline Adam81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 April 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
Some polish registry offices allow to obtain an unsigned photo copy of certificate. But it will be difficult even if you have a family or friend as you need to proof that you are a direct relative. I'll try to contact them tomorrow.
You may also try contact your embassy.
Wackermann
Molatta
Cuber
Cygan
Biela
Bielawski
Leibiniec
Dubeński
Wicher
Duzinkiewicz

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks Adam81.

Piotr is my granddaughter's Great Grandad on her father's side. It is a direct male line till it reaches her. I was told by a Polish Agency that in order for them to search & get a copy I would have to go to a solicitor and get an affidavit (?) giving them permission. I am not sure how correct this is. Also the cost was prohibitive.

I m sure if we managed to locate it my grandaughter would be willing to go to Poland herself as she is desperate to see a copy. Without it her line may end as quickly as it started.

The only other option is to try & track the family through the census/land returns if Poland had/did these. I know they were farmers.

The other option would be a marriage certificate for Plato/n & Anna (Maria Anna?) but this would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Piotr was born in 1924 and his father de shortly afterwards so he has no siblings. His mother was apparently shot during the war in Mlawa.

I hope this might help.

Kind Regards
Gaynori