Author Topic: Are Czech last names gender specific?  (Read 132 times)

Offline JIllenberger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are Czech last names gender specific?
« on: Wednesday 03 April 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Can someone confirm whether Czech family last names are gender specific?  I have a fairly large group in my family tree and it appears the females will have a version of the last name and the men a slightly sorter version of the same name.   Date ranges are 1600-1700 and even 1800s.

For example: 
Střihavková  (female)
Střihavka (male)

or

Dubský (male)
Dubská (female)

These are only a couple examples, but there are several, also appears the maiden name is often left out of records, was that common? 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Are Czech last names gender specific?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to Wiki, yes, they are gender specific.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_name

Scroll down to Female Surnames.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JIllenberger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are Czech last names gender specific?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
Ah, that is very interesting, I was wondering why four generations of family named their children the exact same first names.  Thanks!