Author Topic: Abbreviations on RC baptism register from 1850s  (Read 392 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations on RC baptism register from 1850s
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 April 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Was the abbreviation PF or PM next to name of only one parent? i.e. the baby had a Catholic parent and a Protestant parent. Priest usually noted if one parent was Protestant. The woman at R.C. archives presumably knew what she was talking about.
I've seen the word "spurious" in C. of E. registers.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 April 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's only 'PM' or 'PF' next to the name of one parent. I forget the term that was used - something like 'mixed marriage'.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:51 BST (UK) »
Priest usually noted if one parent was Protestant.
I checked Catholic baptisms of children of 4xgreat-grandparents William & Sarah in 1820s & 1830s. Their father was recorded as "Prot" on 3 baptism entries : 1822, 1828 and 1831 but not in 1825, 1826, or 1833. He bore the well-known Catholic surname Southworth and the family lived in the traditional Catholic heartland of the most Catholic county in England, so his religious affiliation surprised me. A sister of Sarah also had a Protestant husband. Like William, his religion was sometimes noted at his children's baptisms and sometimes not.
"Mixed marriage" is the term commonly used.