Author Topic: Ancestors who were vicars.  (Read 6307 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors who were vicars.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 April 19 17:57 BST (UK) »
Will of Samuel Bush of Ringland, Clerk
Norwich Consistory Court, 1626
Copy will here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSGN-M9ZJ-W?i=155&cat=278818

Thanks. Had a read and it mentions his brother in law John Brooke, so maybe his wife's brother, or his sister's husband. Mentions his children. I descend from Cuthbert.

I did think originally the Samuel Bush born in Hardingham in 1571 may be mine. But the Hardingham one married in 1600 in nearby Deopham to Rose Reynolds. I think my Samuel was still at university at Cambridge at the time. Also my Samuel was said to be 25 in 1602 when he was ordained so he was born c1577. The Hardingham Samuel had a daughter Lidia Bush in 1602 in Hardingham.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 April 19 06:21 BST (UK) »
Coombs, not sure how much you know about your Isaiah Sutcliffe, but I did a Google search and came up with several interesting hits. Just the name, no title or place.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 April 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
Coombs, not sure how much you know about your Isaiah Sutcliffe, but I did a Google search and came up with several interesting hits. Just the name, no title or place.

Certainly an interesting man. Also as his surname is a Lancashire/Yorks name I am sure he or his family came from there. Vicars were often posted far away from their birthplace, dispelling the myth that 99% of our ancestors never moved more than 10 miles of their birthplace.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 00:19 BST (UK) »

Certainly an interesting man. Also as his surname is a Lancashire/Yorks name I am sure he or his family came from there. Vicars were often posted far away from their birthplace, dispelling the myth that 99% of our ancestors never moved more than 10 miles of their birthplace.
That's very true. And that's one of the reasons why we get the spelling variants for our ancestors' surnames: vicars unfamiliar with local names and accents.
I have a similar situation in my wife's tree. She is descended from Thomas Bentham Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. As far as I can discover he was from Yorkshire.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

My ancestor Rev Ralph Loughborough was Vicar of a church in Pirton in Hertfordshire for most of Queen Victoria's reign, yet I couldn't find him on that church database. Can anyone suggest why this is?

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
See Why can’t I find my clergyman ancestor on your website? http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/how-to-use-the-database/faq/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:31 BST (UK) »
Stan, thank you, I don't use icons but if I did I would have one that shows my tail between my legs.

Thanks for your help.

Edit. Two minutes later, I also realise that it only goes up to 1835 anyway. I shall try Crockfords.

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
Martin, there are many gaps in some parishes. Two of my ancestors, father and son, were vicars of Combe Raleigh in Devon, one after the other. Unfortunately there is nearly a 100 year gap in the records on the Clergy Database.
Speaking of clergy, the cleric at Colyton in Devon in the late 1700's must have been an amateur genealogist. He gives two or three generations of detail in each entry in the burial register.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Somehow the further back I am able to go, the more diverse my ancestry gets, and the more I find vicars, landowners and a knight, plus a physician. Although their early origins (ie parents, birthplaces) can be as hard to trace as people who had very humble lives and occupations.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix