Author Topic: Ancestors who were vicars.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors who were vicars.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 11 April 19 00:04 BST (UK) »
Very true, Coombs. Although I still have some family lines that are ag labs all the way I've found so far. Ag labs, or miners as is the case with my Cornish ancestors.
An eclectic mix of ag labs, miners, yeoman farmers, tradespeople (one female ancestor is recorded as having 400 laceworkers working for her), clergy and landed gentry. That's my lot, and I'm sure it is the same for others as well.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 12 April 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
As more comes online, the easier it gets to use our laptops or PC's or mobiles as a "record office".

Seems Isaiah Sutcliffe did not go to Oxford or Cambridge but was later qualified as a vicar.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 14 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
An eclectic mix of ag labs, miners, yeoman farmers, tradespeople (one female ancestor is recorded as having 400 laceworkers working for her), clergy and landed gentry. That's my lot, and I'm sure it is the same for others as well.

I think you have covered most of the categories of occupation for people outside industrial towns in the 19th century.  Many rural people (ag.labs.) would have lived in tied cottages and presumably existed self-sufficiently to a large extent.  A Northumberland family on my wife's tree moved year to year between farms, which we can follow with a large-scale map and a succession of baptisms giving their abode.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young