Author Topic: Ancestors who were vicars.  (Read 6295 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors who were vicars.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 11 April 19 00:04 BST (UK) »
Very true, Coombs. Although I still have some family lines that are ag labs all the way I've found so far. Ag labs, or miners as is the case with my Cornish ancestors.
An eclectic mix of ag labs, miners, yeoman farmers, tradespeople (one female ancestor is recorded as having 400 laceworkers working for her), clergy and landed gentry. That's my lot, and I'm sure it is the same for others as well.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 12 April 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
As more comes online, the easier it gets to use our laptops or PC's or mobiles as a "record office".

Seems Isaiah Sutcliffe did not go to Oxford or Cambridge but was later qualified as a vicar.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 14 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
An eclectic mix of ag labs, miners, yeoman farmers, tradespeople (one female ancestor is recorded as having 400 laceworkers working for her), clergy and landed gentry. That's my lot, and I'm sure it is the same for others as well.

I think you have covered most of the categories of occupation for people outside industrial towns in the 19th century.  Many rural people (ag.labs.) would have lived in tied cottages and presumably existed self-sufficiently to a large extent.  A Northumberland family on my wife's tree moved year to year between farms, which we can follow with a large-scale map and a succession of baptisms giving their abode.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Another vicar ancestor. Thomas Jolye c1540-1599. Was appointed vicar of Thundersley in Essex in 1569. According to Newcourt, he was appointed 15 Nov 1569, and the patron was a Thos. Wright.

I have a feeling Thomas Jolye was from Yorkshire originally. In 1599 he left a will mentioning kinswoman Ann Hage, and cousin Henry Wright of Bury. Henry Wright also mentions his cousins Jollye from Thundersley in Essex when he died in 1609, probably Thomas Jnr (c1565-1619, son of Thomas who died in 1569). I think cousin was often a term for a kinsman, such as nephew or niece, or others relative. Henry Wright in his will mentions a Henry Simpson of Skipton.

Henry Wright was originally of Skipton in Craven according to a visitation where his daughter Alice married Robert Sandwith. Henry mentions another cousin Thomas Smith, and Thomas Jolye died 1599 mentions cousin Thomas Smith, a skinner.

It does seem Thomas Jolye was a relative of Henry Wright from Skipton. A Thomas Jolye was vicar of Skipton in 1549, whether he is a relative of my Thomas Jolye is uncertain as of yet.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
In my Trant line, my earliest ancestor was Gabriel Trant who seems to have come from from nowhere in 1695 to be appointed Vicar of Lowther in Westmorland (although some contemporary reports indicate he may have been French). At least 3 of his 5 sons trained as Priests at Oxbridge.

In another line, I have William Marsh who was Vicar of Bolsterstone, Yorkshire from 1674 - 1685 and again from 1696 to 1704. During the gap in his ministry he was in York Jail for conducting illegal  marriages.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 May 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
When my ancestor was made vicar of Thundersley in 1569, the patron was Thomas Wright and it said P.H.V afterwards which means "pro hac vice" which means for or on this occasion only.

Still trying to establish Thomas Jolye's exact link to Henry Wright of Skipton Yorks died 1610 in Suffolk, but when you get back that far, in the 1500s, it is not easy, as many vicars still came from humble origins.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 26 February 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE:

Thomas Jolye, vicar of Thundersley, had a son Ingram Jolye who died in 1572 in Thundersley. In 1563 a Thomas Jolye was sued as an administrator of the account of Ingram Jolye, gent of Skipton. Also, Ingram Jolye and his wife Elizabeth were subject to a land debt in Skipton in Craven.

I am now sure Thomas Jolye c1540-1600 was from Skipton originally, and his "cosen" Henry Wright was of Skipton.

I have a feeling the Thomas Jolye, vicar of Skipton, was his father. He wrote to Lord Clifford in 1537 and was vicar.

There was an Ingram Clifford born c1516 and Ingram Percy born c1510 who were children of barons of Skipton, but I do not think Ingram Jolye who died c1560, born c1520 was a relative, even if the Jolye and Clifford family knew one another. No mention of the Percy's of Clifford's (or their mothers siblings) marrying a Jolye.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 27 February 21 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Not vicars but one ancestor did pay for two churches to be built in memory of their daughter who had died aged 11.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.