Author Topic: David Fleming m Eliza Sheehan ., 24 Nov. 1816.  (Read 546 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
David Fleming m Eliza Sheehan ., 24 Nov. 1816.
« on: Friday 22 February 19 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I have been clearing out some old genealogy papers today, and came across a note (in my own handwriting) about a marriage I have been looking for for several years.

"David Fleming m Eliza Sheehan ., 24 Nov. 1816 Res Passage, Passage West, Monkstown, Cork and Ross

This entry is in the lately released old Catholic Parish Marriages."
A David Fleming, was the father of my 3x Irish great grandmother, Mary Jane Fleming, who married John Gibbons Mathews in Dublin 1845, in the Church of Ireland, Her father was named as David Fleming, but a mother was not named on the marriage certificate!  The time frame from the Catholic marriage of a David Fleming and an Eliza Sheehan in 1816, , to the birth of a child, who could possibly be my Mary Jane was 2 years, so it's just possible this might be the marriage I've been looking for - forever, to find out just who was Mary Jane's Mother, as her name was not on the marriage 1845 marriage cert!  And I haven't been able to find a birth record for her either!

Could Mary Jane Fleming be a Catholic,  all her census records list her as being born 1818 in Portarlington, so possibly even a Huegenot?? 

I hope someone might be able to decipher this post, sorry, it's pretty mixed up, but then... So am I!! Obviously! 🤔  Thanks though if you can help!  😜😜😜
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Fleming m Eliza Sheehan ., 24 Nov. 1816.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 19 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Have asked moderators to split your post from this thread as it's nothing to do with the topic of recent BMD records.

Could Mary Jane Fleming be a Catholic,  all her census records list her as being born 1818 in Portarlington, so possibly even a Huegenot??
Huguenots are Protestant, Catholics are not.

Not sure how legible the records are but they certainly cover the years you nee to search for Flemings- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0088

If all the records you've found say Mary Jane was born 1818 in Portarlington then you'd need to start by searching there for possible baptism, siblings, parents, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 19 09:52 GMT (UK) »
There could be relevant stuff on those threads!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I put it in the wrong place!  I'm not aware if her parents David Fleming and/ or his wife were Catholic or Protestant - all I know is that Mary Jane married in the Church of Ireland, was born in Portarlington, and with a name like Fleming, she may have been a Huegenot!  Many years ago, I was once in contact with a Ronnie Mathews,(no relation to me)  who had a website about Portarlington, and the Huegenot people, but he couldn't find anything about my David Fleming, his wife or his daughter Mary Jane in his registers! 

That, combined with no mother's surnames for either John Gibbons Mathews or Mary Jane Fleming on their 1845 marriage cert, these two have been the biggest brick wall since I began my research about 14 years ago!   These two were actually my very first find online on the old IGI, and I consequently ordered the microfiilm at the Local LDS Family History, and bingo, I was on my way!
Thanks for all your help everyone, it's truly very much appreciated, but perhaps it's past time for me put this couple to rest, and give everyone else a break!  (And way past time for me to go back to bed, it's a very hot summer's night and as usual I couldn't sleep)!   Thanks for the info re the registers, I'll have a crack at those this coming week!  🌺🌺🌺👍👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections