Author Topic: Waterford Militia  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford Militia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 April 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai and Maiden Stone,
Thanks  both for your last messages.
My concern with Muster Books at the National Archives at Kew in London is that Muster Rolls just confirm that he was in the Regiment. From his discharge papers I now know that he completed 21 years and 1 month of service, This suggests he joined the Militia in May 1793, and would have been aged 30 when he joined.
I will go to the National Archives at Kew to to look at the records there, but as I live 200 miles away that needs some planning.
Any ideas as to what Thomas Audley was doing before he joined the Malitia, when was he baptised and who were his parents. When and where did he die. Did he marry and could he be the father of Mary Audley who married John Skerret on 25th January 1815 in Trinity Parish, Waterford. I would assume these records are in Ireland rather than Kew Endland.

Thanks for all you help
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 April 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Do you know his religion?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 April 19 23:51 BST (UK) »
I recently stumbled across the discharge papers for a Thomas Audley ,who was discharged from the Waterford Regiment of Militia & Infantry on 29th June 1814.  At discharge he was 49 years old, indicating he was born about 1764. It states that he was born in "Passage" in County Waterford.

Town: Passage;   Civil parish: Kill St. Nicholas;  Barony: Gaultiere;   Poor Law Union : Waterford;
 County: Waterford
Linked R.C. parishes, Diocese of Waterford & Lismore:
Churches and chapels: Passage (at Crook), Faithleg and Killea.
Information from S. Wilson's website https://www.swilson.info
There's a search facility for C. of I. parishes on this site. It's currently having an overhaul.

Catholic parish registers at National Library of Ireland https://registers.nli.ie
Killea parish, variant names Crook,  Killea and Crook, Dunmore East.
NLI has marriages from 1780 and baptisms from 1815. Baptisms from 1809 are on Roots Ireland. So too late for the baptism you want.
Two neighbouring parishes, Waterford St. John and Slieverue, have earlier  registers.
Passage is near county boundary with Wexford.
Cowban

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 April 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,
Many thanks for your last reply and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

The only one of whom I know the religion of is the Mary Audley who married in 1815 both she and the groom were recorded as ' Church of Ireland'.

The S Wilson site looks interesting

Thanks for your help.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:54 BST (UK) »
There are some old maps on S Wilson's site. One set dates from 1770s, your ancestor's youth.
Cowban

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

It looks like an informative website. Found the location of Passage in the 1838 map.
I have also been asking advice from the National Archives at Kew.

Thanks for your advice
The Wirral Way

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
Any ideas as to what Thomas Audley was doing before he joined the Malitia, when was he baptised and who were his parents. When and where did he die. Did he marry and could he be the father of Mary Audley who married John Skerret on 25th January 1815 in Trinity Parish, Waterford. I would assume these records are in Ireland rather than Kew Endland.
I assume he died before 1864 if he was born around 1764. Civil registration of deaths in Ireland began 1864, so if he died in Ireland prior to 1864 his death would not have been registered.

As to how he spent his early life, getting to know Waterford might help.
Waterford Heritage Society/Historical Society
waterfordheritage.com/historical-society.html
Articles in back copies of the journal include life in 18thC Waterford.
Waterford Historical Society is on Facebook. Don't confuse it with historical societies of the same name in Vermont and Michigan.
Have you looked at RootsChat Waterford Resources on the county board?
Don't forget Wexford, he may have crossed the river to find work.
Cowban

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,
Thanks for your further suggestion, I will be following them all up and I suspect I will be making a trip to the National Archives at Kew.

Thanks
The Wirral Way

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
Passage was and is a small fishing village located on the west bank of Waterford harbor.  A pleasant little place, you should visit. It is chiefly noted these days as the location for a frequent car ferry service across the river to the Co. Wexford side (to Arthurstown). Duncannon Fort is just downstream, on the opposite side of the river. The Fort is open to the public as a museum, and is little changed since the days your ancestor may (or may not) have served there. I would not assume that the Waterford militia served there simply because it is close by.

The Crook which was mentioned in passing is the Crook of the famous expression "by Hook or by Crook".  The ruins of Geneva Barracks, a British army barracks covering several acres, is just few km outside Passage, overlooking the harbor. It is the site of the famous ballad, "The Croppy Boy", about the events of 1798, when it was the site of a British torture center. 
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area