Author Topic: Help with some German  (Read 564 times)

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with some German
« on: Friday 05 April 19 08:57 BST (UK) »
Didn't expect to need this while researching some Italian ancestors ... google translate is all over the place when I try to decipher this so I think I am missing some nuance of the language. Something about Maddalena Cecere, wife of Agostino Moniello, a couple from Nola. There is a paragraph above this if for some reason it needs more context to make sense.

Thank you!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some German
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
I have no idea how this is going to help you.
Itīs written in very antiquated German and is hard to translate.

Hereīs my two cents worth.

It tells the story of a poor farmers wife, Magdalena Cecero the wife of  Agostino Moniello from Nola.

She seems to have arrived in some sort of furore due to something that had happened in Nola.

Her righthand side was paralyzed after having a stroke and she had also lost her speech.
What made the situation worse was the fact that they had numerous underaged children.

Some religous person took pity on her and told her to seek help by the holy mother.
She swore by her heart, that if it would free her from her paralysis, she would undergo a pilgrimage on foot Mugnano.

Immediately after swearing her oath she regained her speech and  the feeling in her right side.
Only her arm and hand were still lamed. She was able to leave her bed but still had a limp.

On the following sunday the 3 August she set off for Mugnano on foot to fulfill her oath. The withered hand held in a linen sling around her neck.

In Mugnano she pleaded with fervency for help at the altar of mercy of our saviour.

Her sighs were heard in heaven. After the holy mass and singing of the litany her hand healed and the paralysis and limping subsided.

She made the sign of the cross and cried „this canīt be me doing this, this is not my hand“
She was then convinced that this was all real and rejoiced with her husband.

This twofold wonder on the same day stirred the crowd so emotionally that they errected a statue in gratitude and honour of the holy mother, in Nola.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some German
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your translation. This is nowhere near what I was getting from google  ;D

Interesting story! For anyone wondering the book is Hochheiliges Leben und staunenswerthe Wunder der glorreichsten Jungfrau und Martyrin Filumena from 1849.