Author Topic: My children have stronger matches than me????  (Read 424 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
My children have stronger matches than me????
« on: Saturday 06 April 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
I am fortunate enough to have the ability to examine the shared matches for both my offspring. But...

... occasionally, I notice that whilst I share say, 28.0 cM with someone, one or even both of my offspring have greater shared amounts (e.g. 28.6 cM or 29.7 cM) with this same person! Since their mother was born and raised in Eastern Europe and the rest of her family never came to England this cannot be some random coincidence of distant relatives marrying.

Or can it?

Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My children have stronger matches than me????
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 19 11:54 BST (UK) »
I am fortunate enough to have the ability to examine the shared matches for both my offspring. But...

... occasionally, I notice that whilst I share say, 28.0 cM with someone, one or even both of my offspring have greater shared amounts (e.g. 28.6 cM or 29.7 cM) with this same person! Since their mother was born and raised in Eastern Europe and the rest of her family never came to England this cannot be some random coincidence of distant relatives marrying.

Or can it?
It's just a tiny difference, it's down to the fact the tests and processing algorithms will always deliver a slightly different result.