Author Topic: Seeking 1901 record for Michael O'Neill, Ballymilligan/Ballymulligan (b. c1831)  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking 1901 record for Michael O'Neill, Ballymilligan/Ballymulligan (b. c1831)
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, all!

@Sinann, yes Jane was named McCann. She was the illegitimate daughter of Rose Donnelly and a Charles McCann - she seems to have been given the father's surname rather than her mother's. I have no idea if she ever had any other Siblings.

I'm assuming that Donnelly was her mother's maiden name and not a previous marriage, but I don't have documentary evidence for that.

Yes, I believe it's Ballydawley - it's part of the reason I've had such trouble pinning down my 3x great grandfather Michael, as I don't know where they originally came from. John also apparently had a whole other first marriage I know nothing about.

I suppose if I could find a birth record c1862 for John son of Michael, it could help confirm if his mother was a Sarah.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking 1901 record for Michael O'Neill, Ballymilligan/Ballymulligan (b. c1831)
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Just checking John O'Neill marriages in the surrounding districts
Cookstown reg district appears to have a lot of Michaels with sons John,
found two marriages but the father was dead but there is this one
John O'Neill to Bridget Scanner, in 1883 his age is 23
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10947/8000925.pdf
Need to check for a death for Bridget
I'll keep checking the marriages.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helping out with the searching, Sinann!

On that record, I think the surname actually reads ‘Sanner’ rather than ‘Scanner’. I think it may have been mistranscribed in some places. I did a search for Bridget O’Neills dying between 1888 (year of this marriage) and 1895 (year of John O’Neill’s second marriage), but can find no one in the right age range.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 April 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
I did a search for Bridget O’Neills dying between 1888 (year of this marriage) and 1895 (year of John O’Neill’s second marriage), but can find no one in the right age range.
Marriage was 1883 not 1888 so perhaps need to widen search?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Whoops, that was a typo - I did indeed search from 1883. Thanks for catching that, Aghadowey!  ;D