Author Topic: Help wanted please Christina Leighton  (Read 1402 times)

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help wanted please Christina Leighton
« on: Sunday 07 April 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am having trouble finding my 2nd Great Grandmothers birth mother, She was born in Mennie, Forfarshire in  1817. Her name is Christina Leighton,
Her father was Andrew Leighton

I belong to Ancestry and on there her mother is being listed as both Elizabeth Christie and Anne Spied on 2 different family trees.
The Elizabeth Christie came up thrulines on Ancestry
Can anyone help me find her please,
Regards
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
Did she have a name?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
I belong to Ancestry and on there her mother is being listed as both Elizabeth Christie and Anne Spied.

Are you quoting from a family tree on Ancestry?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Why not also tell us about her dau/g-dau etc ?
Anything else you know?
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
The 2 trees I mentioned are both on Ancestry, not my tree but belonging to other members.

Christina was married to Andrew Lawson. She had 10 children, my g-grandfather John Lawson born in 1852 was one of the kids.

The 2 possible mothers are Elizabeth Christie and Anne Spied.
The name Christie is my middle name and it is a family name so possibly it is Elizabeth Christie. I have  looked on Scotlands People and cannot find any info there
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Scotland's People for Christina's death certificate to see what names are mentioned
For her parents

Rosie

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Scotland's People for Christina's death certificate to see what names are mentioned
For her parents

Rosie

I forgot about that, I have just looked and her mothers name was Annie Leighton, formally Wallace and then  something  I'm not sure about  then Spied

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I think I'm sorted now

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 April 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
her mothers name was Annie Leighton, formally Wallace and then  something  I'm not sure about  then Spied
That will be Annie Leighton, formerly Wallace, M(aiden) S(urname) Speid. In other words, she was born Ann(ie) Speid, married first to a Mr Wallace and then to a Mr Leighton.

I belong to Ancestry and on there her mother is being listed as both Elizabeth Christie and Anne Spied on 2 different family trees.
An excellent example of why you cannot trust trees on Ancestry or anywhere else online.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.