Author Topic: Liverpool Brick wall - Mary Ellis  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Brick wall - Mary Ellis
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 April 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
1861 it says Robert from Gurley, Wales; 1871 says from Cargurly, Ireland!

Oddly similar.

(Someone may be able to suggest more likely place names).

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 April 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Edit! Yay - managed to include the entire marriage certificate!
[/quote]

You need to remove the Marriage Cert. as you may only include a portion of it on here and not the whole certificate due to copyright  ;)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 April 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
Garstonite: I’ve no idea but I’ll start looking!

Rosie99: I don’t know how I missed the fact there is another R on that document for years.  :-[

Wivenhoe: yup that’s the family. I’ve got photographs of Florence, Mary and Bella, which is pretty cool.  ;D

ShaunJ: Thank you for that – It didn’t occur to me to look for other Roberts from the same register, so I think that proves I’ve had the wrong name all this time.  :-\

Tall Al: Oh that’s fantastic! Thank you! I have some old photos of Upper Mann Street, I should go and look at the online archive again…

Ruskie: is it bad to hope for Wales? I’m so tired of losing ancestors once they are Ireland  :'(

Tall Al/Ruskie: Um I also assumed it was Ellesmere Port at first!

Ruskie: everything is a red herring with this family at the moment, I don’t even have conclusive evidence that Sarah is the name of Mary’s mother at this stage, so your help is very much appreciated. I'm going to go back through her kids names as a couple have unusual middle names and see if that ties in anywhere.

Treetotal – THANK YOU! I’ll do that now!

All: Here is a snip from Mary Emmett's death certificate in 1938, which shows the age discrepancy. I know that John Emmett had a will where he left everything to Mary as it's no the index, but would it potentially be worth getting to see if there are any clues to her family, do you think?

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 April 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Did your John Emmett die in 1922 with a home address in Aigburth? If yes Mary Emmett was the executor of the will. To see who John left his estate to you need to get a copy of the will.

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
Gibel, yes that's him. The index says "Probate Liverpool 20 March to mary Emmett Widow. Effects 723. 4s. 2d."

Does that mean she was the executor rather than the sole inheritor? I think I wrongly assumed it was the latter so hadn't prioritised getting a copy of the will.

Oooh I have to get it now - family legend says my g-grandmother (their eldest daughter, Florence) fell out with them because she married "beneath" her. I had great fun with some wills on another branch of the tree so here's hoping there is something in this one!  Thank you, Gibel!

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In looking for Goring Street, in the 1881 census if you look for a William Peet born 1854 Toxteth -   there is a Rootschat posting for this family - you will see that family in Goring Street. - Toxteth Park District 38.

In 1871 the Robert and Sarah Ellis (and Mary) mentioned earlier were in the same district number - it is extremely difficult to read but looks like a part of Upper Mann Street. Interestingly Robert's occupation is shown as Labourer - the same as on Mary's wedding certificate.

Alan

Hi Alan, it looks like it says 61 Court 4 house Upper Mann Street, and the maps of the time suggest very dense housing.

Now just to add something into the mix - does the 1881 census return for Sarah and Robert Ellis look likely to anyone else? Sarah is once again born in Shropshire, but this time it looks like Robert is from Cheshire?

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
Picking up on an earlier point, St Michael in the Hamlet is in Toxteth but the Lancs OPC site, for all its many merits, persists in listing it as in Aigburth.  In the 19th century and later the northern boundary of Aigburth was at Jericho Lane/Aigburth Vale.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 00:52 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census you mention appears to be the same couple. Ages are out (again) though. and Robert is now born in Chester!  ::)

Yes, Court housing was grim. It's all gone now.

A little youtube vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGp39YIYV0o

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
In case the Robert Ellis found in the censuses is yours, I have found a burial which seems to fit fairly well age wise:

Robert Ellis
DEATH   3 Aug 1888
BURIAL   Toxteth Park Cemetery
PLOT   Sec: H, Grave: 49

The Toxteth Park Cemetery website is down at the moment but that may specify his address and occupation. This information may also be available elsewhere such as Ancestry.