Author Topic: John McLaughlin of Carthall  (Read 1784 times)

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McLaughlin of Carthall
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track the ownership (from date of build to present), of Carthall House in Coleraine, built by John McLaughlin (1819-1897), wine and spirit merchant. He built this house around 1881. According to his Will, I believe the house was left to a son Edward. I am lost beyond that. Today, Google maps shows the house still standing at about 45 Carthall Road. I have tried to search the Valuation Revision Books to find it, but I am unable to. It does not list anything for Carthall Rd. Perhaps it was called something different? Thank you everyone for you time helping me.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McLaughlin of Carthall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track the ownership (from date of build to present), of Carthall House in Coleraine, built by John McLaughlin (1819-1897), wine and spirit merchant. He built this house around 1881. According to his Will, I believe the house was left to a son Edward. I am lost beyond that. Today, Google maps shows the house still standing at about 45 Carthall Road. I have tried to search the Valuation Revision Books to find it, but I am unable to. It does not list anything for Carthall Rd. Perhaps it was called something different? Thank you everyone for you time helping me.

6 pages that discuss all this on your previous thread a few years ago-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766968.0

Added- Breezemount (not the house you are looking for in this thread) is currently for sale-
https://www.osborneking.com/property-item/?Property_ID=26100&FriendlyID=Breezemount-Manor-26-Castlerock-Road-and-39-41-Upper-Captain-Street-Coleraine-BT51-3HP
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I recall this thread and often refer to it as it contains a lot of great information. However, it went a lot of directions. I created a new thread to stay focused on the ownership of Carthall.

I had a lot of success from the aforementioned thread, finding Ardavon in the Valuation book. I am not able to find Carthall in the same way.

In the U.S., we can view current ownership and property details. I thought maybe I would try to work backwards but cannot find that type of resource online.

Again, trying to track the ownership and substantiate anything like John giving the house to his son Edward.

Thanks for the help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:30 BST (UK) »
Today, Google maps shows the house still standing at about 45 Carthall Road. I have tried to search the Valuation Revision Books to find it, but I am unable to. It does not list anything for Carthall Rd.
Did you look in Valuations Books for Waterside (1893-1899) which then changes at some point to Upper Captain Street (1913-1931)? (reply #50 on original thread)

Reply #23- According to Coleraine in Modern Times by Mullin, Carthall House was Upper Captain St.
John McLoughlin of Carthall died 1941- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/DAYB1941history.htm

reply #11-
The Will (with two Codicils) of John M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Wine and Spirit Merchant who died 18 June 1897 was proved at Londonderry by Edward Charles M'Laughlin Patrick M'Laughlin Wine and Spirit Merchants and Daniel M'Laughlin Solicitor all of Coleraine the Executors. Will dated 18 Sept.1896 mentions 'dear wife,' daughters Mary & Bridget, daughter-in-law Alicia [widow of son James] & her sons, daughter Elizabeth & her 3 sons, son Edward, nephews Daniel & Patrick McLaughlin. Codicils added 12 May 1897 & 1 June 1897.
John McLaughlin died Cart Hall, informant son E.C. McLaughlin Upper Captain St.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05858/4660539.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
1894- F. J. Montgomery, Benvarden
1909- Mrs. F. J. Montgomery, Millburn

1911- Montgomery family living Millburn-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Millburn/589094

1929- Captain and Mrs. F. J. Montgomery, Carthall House, Coleraine
Montgomery Francis James of Millburn and of Carthall both in Coleraine county Londonderry captain H.M. army (retired) died 2 July 1937 at latter place Probate Belfast 7 February to Eva Montgomery the widow. Effects £1293 8s. 4d.

1934/1957- Hugh Ainslie Montgomery, Carthall House, Coleraine

Montgomery, Eva of Henley Lodge Coleraine county Londonderry widow died 2 November 1961 Probate Londonderry 14 February to Hugh Ainslie Montgomery gentleman. Effects £492 12s. 6d.

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
Today, Google maps shows the house still standing at about 45 Carthall Road. I have tried to search the Valuation Revision Books to find it, but I am unable to. It does not list anything for Carthall Rd.
Did you look in Valuations Books for Waterside (1893-1899) which then changes at some point to Upper Captain Street (1913-1931)? (reply #50 on original thread)

Post #50 was relevant to Breezemont, not Carthall. I have not checked under Waterside or Upper Captain Street because maps of that time listed the road as Carthall, so I didn't think to. I will do that.

Reply #23- According to Coleraine in Modern Times by Mullin, Carthall House was Upper Captain St.
John McLoughlin of Carthall died 1941- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/DAYB1941history.htm

I'm not sure what that shows. THE John of Carthall passed in 1897. I have not come across anything that refers to another person as John of Carthall. I suppose that was another John that lived there and died in 1941, but that might contradict the Montgomery living there in 1929 listed below.

reply #11-
The Will (with two Codicils) of John M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Wine and Spirit Merchant who died 18 June 1897 was proved at Londonderry by Edward Charles M'Laughlin Patrick M'Laughlin Wine and Spirit Merchants and Daniel M'Laughlin Solicitor all of Coleraine the Executors. Will dated 18 Sept.1896 mentions 'dear wife,' daughters Mary & Bridget, daughter-in-law Alicia [widow of son James] & her sons, daughter Elizabeth & her 3 sons, son Edward, nephews Daniel & Patrick McLaughlin. Codicils added 12 May 1897 & 1 June 1897.
John McLaughlin died Cart Hall, informant son E.C. McLaughlin Upper Captain St.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05858/4660539.pdf

I am aware of this Will. I do not see where the house is given to anyone specifically. There is one line that he gives "all the rest of my property" to son Edward. I would also like to point out that I believe Alicia was not a widow at this point, however her husband James, was specifically excluded from the will, according to family.

1894- F. J. Montgomery, Benvarden
1909- Mrs. F. J. Montgomery, Millburn

1911- Montgomery family living Millburn-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Millburn/589094

1929- Captain and Mrs. F. J. Montgomery, Carthall House, Coleraine
Montgomery Francis James of Millburn and of Carthall both in Coleraine county Londonderry captain H.M. army (retired) died 2 July 1937 at latter place Probate Belfast 7 February to Eva Montgomery the widow. Effects £1293 8s. 4d.

1934/1957- Hugh Ainslie Montgomery, Carthall House, Coleraine

Montgomery, Eva of Henley Lodge Coleraine county Londonderry widow died 2 November 1961 Probate Londonderry 14 February to Hugh Ainslie Montgomery gentleman. Effects £492 12s. 6d.
Good find. I guess Edward did not have any children to leave it to. No children in either of the 1901/1911census.

After looking at the listing for Beezemont, I contacted a realtor regarding Carthall. She was unable to find out any owner information from her contacts and neighbors apparently were unaware of current ownership. She was however, able to get me interior pictures of Ardavon which was neat to see.