Author Topic: Arabella Fletcher of Pentrich and her mother Hannah Fletcher  (Read 940 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Arabella Fletcher of Pentrich and her mother Hannah Fletcher
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 05:00 BST (UK) »
I have hit something of a brick wall with a direct ancestor Arabella Fletcher who married Thomas Stanley (sometimes spelling of Standley) on 25 September  1804 in Pentrich.   Arabella was the third wife of Thomas.

I have looked up baptisms in Pentrich and found the following:
1765  June 29 Arabella base D of Hannah Fletcher (presumably base means illegitimate)
1767 28 Sept Arabella Base D of Hannah Fletcher

However, in between these dates is a Pentrich burial for an Arabella Fletcher on  26 August 1765.

I am assuming that the child baptised in 1765 died and was buried in 1765 and Hannah Fletcher had another daughter with the same name baptised in 1767.  Of course in family history sometimes these assumptions can be quite wrong!

However, I cannot pinpoint Hannah Fletcher.  I believe there were a number of women with the name Hannah Fletcher in Pentrich at that time.   

Has anyone got more information on Hannah Fletcher and daughter Arabella?

Thank you  to anyone who can supply more information on the Fletcher family of Pentrich.

marp

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arabella Fletcher of Pentrich and her mother Hannah Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 05:51 BST (UK) »
I have hit something of a brick wall with a direct ancestor Arabella Fletcher who married Thomas Stanley (sometimes spelling of Standley) on 25 September  1804 in Pentrich.   Arabella was the third wife of Thomas.

I have looked up baptisms in Pentrich and found the following:
1765  June 29 Arabella base D of Hannah Fletcher (presumably base means illegitimate)
1767 28 Sept Arabella Base D of Hannah Fletcher

However, in between these dates is a Pentrich burial for an Arabella Fletcher on  26 August 1765.

I am assuming that the child baptised in 1765 died and was buried in 1765 and Hannah Fletcher had another daughter with the same name baptised in 1767.  Of course in family history sometimes these assumptions can be quite wrong!

However, I cannot pinpoint Hannah Fletcher.  I believe there were a number of women with the name Hannah Fletcher in Pentrich at that time.   

Has anyone got more information on Hannah Fletcher and daughter Arabella?

Thank you  to anyone who can supply more information on the Fletcher family of Pentrich.

marp

Yes, 'base' would mean illegitimate.
It does look as if the first child Arabella died in Aug 1765, and then Hannah had another daughter a couple of years later, and gave her the same name.
I have many instances where a child died, and that name was then used for a later child.

It would seem that name was very important to her to use it again.
Perhaps it was the name of her mother, or a favourite sister.
Interesting too that she had stayed in the same place by the birth of the second child.
Have you looked at the families of the Hannah Fletchers you say were around in Pentrich at that time to see if there any other mentions of an Arabella?
Have you looked for any wills for 'Fletcher' around Pentrich around about the right time?

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Arabella Fletcher, was buried Pentrich 26 August 1765, Infant of Pentrich.  You can see the image on
Ancestry in All Derbyshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812.

Re the 2nd Arabella who married T S,her entry in the 1841 Cenus aged 70, is a “rounded age” so actual age born between 1766 - 1771.  Which would fit with her Bpt 1767.

Now looking for Hannah Fletcher

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Cannot find a Hannah Fletcher, born in Pentrich.  However there are two Anne Fletchers born
14.10. 1747 dau of Robert & Mary
7.12.1748 dau of Enoch & Mary

Ann/e Anna quite often used as Hannah,

Also have you looked at

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/%7Espire/Yesterday/index.htm

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 19 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hannah had another daughter Mary in 25 May 1771
Hannah seems to have been buried at Pentrich 3.7.1803 age 63 years

Ciderdrinker

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,  yes I had a look at Yesterday's Journey without success.   I also found that Hannah Fletcher had another daughter Mary.

Thank you for the burial information.

marp