Author Topic: Henry Sudell  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Sudell
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Although not an ancestor, I’m trying to trace a convict to find out what happened to him as a side story to my tree(he robbed my ancestors shop!!)
The person I’m looking for is Henry Sudell.He was born in the mid 1820s to early 1830s.And was transported on the ship Bangalore, arriving at Morton Bay in 1850.
I also found a reference to a Sudell’s frog, named after a Henry Sudell’s daughter.I wondered if this is the same person??
Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Sudell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
To narrow down location, his crimes appear to have been committed in Lancashire.

He was first convicted of larceny at Preston, 15 Oct 1845, aged 20.  Sentence: 6 months and whipped.

Next convicted of larceny at Preston, 21 May 1847, aged 22.  Sentence: 7 years' transportation.

Birthdate therefore c1825.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
There is one that 'fits' living in Preston in 1841
HO107/498 bk 10 f16 p24
Alice Sudell 50
Margaret 20
Mary 20
Harriet 15
Henry 15

It looks as though he may have been born in 1822  ::)
23 Oct 1822 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Henry Sudell
Parents Henry Sudell & Alice
Abode Park Preston
Fathers Occupation Warper

I think we can ignore that one ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
Henry Sudell & William Smith were convicted of stealing 40 yards woollen cloth from Thomas Ainsworth of Penny Street (Blackburn)  Thomas Ainsworth is resident there in 1851.  Some of the cloth was sold in Clitheroe

ADDED
One to consider  :-\
29 Dec 1824 St Paul, Blackburn, Lancashire
Henry Sudell - Son of John Sudell & Margt.
Born 15 Dec 1824
Abode Blackburn
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thank you for your input.The Henry who stole the cloth and who was earlier whipped and sentenced to 6 months is the correct one.
I am trying to discover what happened to him when he was transported down under.And what happened to him after he completed his sentence.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at the trove.nla site and the only definite reference to Henry Sudell is a Ticket of Leave of obtained - reported in NSW Government Gazette of 13/9/1850.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
There is a Henry Sudell who died in Queensland in 1904 ref c4099.(bdm qld). His parents are named as William Sudell and Ann Barnes. There are other references on findmypast (au) to a Henry Sudell and I can check them out later, if you like.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

It would be great if you could find anything on Find my Past (au).I only have access to the UK site.
Thanks

John

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hello John
I think that the Queensland death is for the right Henry Sudell for the following reasons:
28/9/1850 Moreton Bay Courier (Queensland) Ticket of leave granted to above, with others, for Moreton Bay district. Listed as one of Queensland's early pioneers by State Library because of this;
1863 took up 40 acres of Crown Land with Mr Emmerson? in parish of Yeerongpilly in county of Stanley;
1879 married Emma Jane Lamb on 20/11/1879 ref 001142;
occupation seems mainly to have been farming;
7/8/1904 died in Warwick, Queensland (influenza turned into pneumonia) leaving widow and 5 grown-up stepsons and daughters.( Haven't been able to verify that). Warwick Examiner 10/8/1904.
Administration of real estate to Jane Anne Ryan (wife of Maurice Wallace Ryan) lawful daughter and next of kin of said deceased.
He is listed on various electoral rolls and in several directories.
Does that answer your query?
Jackie