Author Topic: Finding James McGuire late 1800s  (Read 1034 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding James McGuire late 1800s
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I’m stuck on James Maguire/McGuire. He was born about 1844-1847 in Ireland. He was Wesleyan Methodist (except for one census where he’s described as Presbyterian). I first found him marrying Jane/Janet McGregor in 1862 in Brant in a Methodist ceremony. 

He first appears in the 1871 census with his family in Kinloss, Ont. In 1881 he is in Kinloss again and then disappears in 1891. I relocated him in 1901 in Eastnor (Aka Lions Head) and he died in 1907.

On his marriage record, his parents are John and Jane. I cannot find him in 1851 or 1861, 1891 and complicating matters is that there were multiple James Maguires in the area. Helpfully, at least, my James was Protestant making him slightly easier to identify.

A couple of trees have him born in Goderich, On but I reached out and they don’t know where they got that info. I also can only find James’s FindaGrave record, not his burial or death record.

Any help is gratefully received in sorting this out!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding James McGuire late 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Is this the family in 1891?

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1891&op=img&id=30953_148140-00474

PB

Unfortunately, I don’t think so...their children were: Elizabeth Jane Margaret (1866), John James, Mary Augustine, Joseph Henry, and Robert Edward (1880)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Darn. Too bad.

It's good to know the children's names. Might help find them. I was having a bit of trouble finding the family in 1871 and 1881 Kinloss for some reason. Must try again.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
Darn. Too bad.

It's good to know the children's names. Might help find them. I was having a bit of trouble finding the family in 1871 and 1881 Kinloss for some reason. Must try again.

PB

It certainly doesn't help that James's wife went by everything from Wilhelmina Jane, to Jane, to Janet! And that Maguire was spelled McGuire, Maguire, etc as well depending on the record keeper.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
I have now found the family in the censuses you have.... the transcriptions and spelling differences certainly didn't help. Had also learned about Wilhelmina....

None of this has helped with finding the family in the censuses they are missing from, however. They are very well hidden.

PB

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 06:28 BST (UK) »
A couple of trees have him born in Goderich, On but I reached out and they don’t know where they got that info.

There is a death registration for Margaret Jane Glahn, born 1866, daughter of James McGuire and Willa Lena McGregor which gives the birth place of James as Goderich.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y3S5-Z15?i=106&cc=1307826

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
A couple of trees have him born in Goderich, On but I reached out and they don’t know where they got that info.

There is a death registration for Margaret Jane Glahn, born 1866, daughter of James McGuire and Willa Lena McGregor which gives the birth place of James as Goderich.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y3S5-Z15?i=106&cc=1307826

Ah, thank you! That’s very helpful as it hints at where James’s family may have first settled in Canada. Perhaps he was an infant when he came to Goderich from Ireland, leading his daughter to think he was born there.