Author Topic: iPad back up  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
iPad back up
« on: Tuesday 09 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Evening all

I need to get a new iPad - my battery is dying.

I don’t know whether to plug the new one into the pc and start there, or skip that step and use a back from my existing pad (which would keep my photos).

If I choose the first option, can I then restore from a back up to keep the photos I’ve taken on the pad?
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: iPad back up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Back it up to your icloud account then you can access it afterwards from your new ipad.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
Using Apple for a new battery can be very expensive. But if you \are accepting it is almost dead then a clone fix is worth thinking about & a lot cheaper.

One example of many options here https://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/ipad-repairs

Edward

PS No connection, just the first one I found with a sensible price
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
At the Apple shop a new battery is around £85. However if it’s an iPad they give you a brand new one instead of replacing the battery. The iPad is the only product they don’t open up.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
If you can’t get to a shop ring their help line (very helpful) I think they can sort it by post. You would have to back up again they would help you

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
I did find a local guy who reckoned he could replace the battery for £65. Then he added “if we break the screen that’s another £12, and if the display goes that’s another £126. Oh, and we’re not liable.”

I gave up and went to buy a new one, set up from back up. 

Minor issues, I cannot log out of my Apple ID on the old one (husband thought he might use it for as long as it lasts), which might cause a problem for back ups. And try as I might I cannot add a second twitter account to mine (it’s another one that I manage). Follow all the steps, but it doesn’t work.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
Well done. However just to say that’s why you should be careful when going to other repairers.

I did find a local guy who reckoned he could replace the battery for £65. Then he added “if we break the screen that’s another £12, and if the display goes that’s another £126. Oh, and we’re not liable.”

I gave up and went to buy a new one, set up from back up. 

Minor issues, I cannot log out of my Apple ID on the old one (husband thought he might use it for as long as it lasts), which might cause a problem for back ups. And try as I might I cannot add a second twitter account to mine (it’s another one that I manage). Follow all the steps, but it doesn’t work.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
I did get in touch with a chap I used to work with, an absolute apple fanboy. He said don’t bother, they’re basically not meant to be serviced. I suppose it ties you into apple to pony up some more cash to keep your pics etc.

Quite like this new one apart from the frustrations mentioned previously, although it does have loads of built in apps that I will never use, and of course apple don’t let you remove them.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Some interesting apps - there’s a word processing package, spreadsheet and PowerPoint type thing. I can’t quite see myself using the Garage Band app though  ;D