Author Topic: Help with the age of "Mrs. Dodson" please  (Read 4084 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the age of "Mrs. Dodson" please
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:00 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Jool have you considered the fact that as a Draper's wife,  she may have made the cap, to advertise the materials available at the Draper's shop.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
That's a lovely job Peter (a great facial lumpectomy ;D), thank you for taking the time to restore her.  She certainly looks younger than I first thought she was.  It's amazing how much detail comes out of a photo when it's restored.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Jool have you considered the fact that as a Draper's wife,  she may have made the cap, to advertise the materials available at the Draper's shop.
Carol

That's a good point Carol, I hadn't thought of that.  You have restored my faith in believing it may be Martha  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
I also wondered whether James had any Brothers who married and died in that location.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
I also wondered whether James had any Brothers who married and died in that location.
Carol

I did have a look to see if there were any other Mrs. Dodsons in the family that could fit, but no luck.

James and his siblings were born in Liverpool and he was the only one to move to Wolverhampton.  He had 2 brothers, one died in childhood and the other brother John died in 1886 in Chester.  John and his wife were living separately in 1881 and she remarried in 1887 in Liverpool.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
Oh ok....we can rule out it being James's Sil then. I have to say that she does appear to be slightly amused as though she is suppressing a smile and doesn't look to be in mourning, you don't usually see jewellery worn during the morning period. Having said that,  From what I have read, it seems that the white mourning cap was worn in the later mourning period and the black one at the beginning. They were also seen to be a symbol of wealth, respectability and social standing.
Carol

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Just an observation here.
The jewellery she is wearing is in very dark tones.  Hard to say in a black and white photo of course, but I would suggest the earrings are tiny flowers made in jet, the favoured gem for mourning jewellery.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
Just an observation here.
The jewellery she is wearing is in very dark tones.  Hard to say in a black and white photo of course, but I would suggest the earrings are tiny flowers made in jet, the favoured gem for mourning jewellery.

Sue

Thanks for your observation Sue, the jewellery does look very dark.  Now that you mention it I have heard of jet being used for mourning jewellery.

I'm getting more confused by the minute  :-\ 
We have a Wolverhampton photo of a Mrs. Dodson who is wearing a widows cap and possibly jet mourning jewellery with a suppressed smile on her face, and the only matching Mrs Dodson in Wolverhampton at the time is Martha Dodson whose husband is very much alive  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.